Power Out! (Hurricane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dragons are pretty hardy, I know it goes against this boards general recommendations, but your dragon will be fine in 50 degree temps for the night. I wouldn't ever recommend keeping a dragon in temps like that at night on a constant basis, but in this case, I feel its appropriate to mention its not THAT big of a deal.

EDIT: Removed some things after re-reading some more of the thread.

-Brandon

I would get a sleeping bag and cuddle my beardie if i couldnt get warmers etc. I hope you all fare well through the night, I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through... Pretty chilly and rainy here in MI but we have power thank goodness! Good luck to you all, you and your little beardies are in my thoughts

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Dragons can and do survive that temp., but a very old or young dragon is better off with heat if at all possible. Jenny, if you have to transport your dragon, just get a large shoebox,or a small pet carrier, put a soft towel in and keep the heat on in the car....keep it about 75 in the car + he'll be fine.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, if at all possible, heat is better. But don't beat yourself up if you can't find a way. I'm sure you have enough on your mind already. My thoughts go out to your family, beardies and all.

-Brandon

Thank you all so much. Our situation is complicated because we have 3 small children as well as our beardie, Samson. He us currently warming up a bit on a warm bottle of water, thanks for the suggestion. Just had to drive to get it! Will keep you all posted, just really want my old man to weather this storm. 12 Y 9 M. Can't believe it.

So far so good. we had to relocate everyone, including my old man because we still don't have any power. We are currently all at my parents house who don't have power either but have hot running water. Thank you so much for asking I'm using 1 water bottles to wwarm him up periodically. You guys are all so sweet!

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
jennyfredericks":3bclrcee said:
So far so good. we had to relocate everyone, including my old man because we still don't have any power. We are currently all at my parents house who don't have power either but have hot running water. Thank you so much for asking I'm using 1 water bottles to wwarm him up periodically. You guys are all so sweet!
great!

i had to drive my beardies an hour and a half away to get them to a friends who has power. we ran out of gas part way through.

we had 38 gallon tubs to use as temporary homes.

the first day with power out i put them under the covers with my hubby and they climbed up on him.

I'm from NJ also and we still don't have power as well. His tank is 50*F but at night it gets colder. What I normally do is wrap him up in his fleece blanket and as soon as I get home from work I leave my jacket on and lay him on my chest and zip up my jacket and just rub his body so he may maintain warm. I do have hot water so I tend to give him a good warm bath. I'm a check petsmart today hopefully it's open but I was told Walmart was already open so I'm a check that out.

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Im no where near the hurricane (UK) But we've been having powercutsin my area lately due to some faults with the grid/fuses. My guy went without his usual night time ceramic heater and it dropped to 9c/48f for one night (my house is freezing!) and Hige was fine. The power went off around 11pm and came back on in the morning around 6, and he was fine. He didn't eat much the next day but was fine in the long run. I made sure to give him a fleece blanket to stay warm and i covered up his viv to keep the heat in.
My friend lives in a very rural area of the Scottish Shetland Isles and has power cuts slightly more often than me/much colder winters. She has a covered cardbaord box lined with a blanket and with squares of thick fleece in that her beardie will tunnel into and stay warm. She says the cut up squares mean he has better airflow but i don't see why it can't be done with a few blankets. She puts some of the handwarmers on the side of the box too keep it warmer too.

Momswims1

Juvie Member
To all of you suffering from Sandy, we here in Florida are sending all the warmth we can your way. I can't imagine what you must be going through right now. I have been thinking about folks with beardies and geckos all week and wondering how all of you are doing. We love our beardies so much, we would be just as scared as you must be right now. Wish there was more we could do to help you. Please know our thoughts are with you and your little beardies. I hope they are all able to pull through. Please keep us updated.

Rebecca and family

We are doing well, thank you all. We are part of the fortunate few to have our power back. My old man, Sammy, is doing fine. Good luck to everyone else. The warm bottles of water worked for us... but we had to stay with family so he was in a laundry basket for 4 days. Thanks again.

TJeno

I'd recommend some hot water in a bottle wrapped in a towel. I'm sure you've learned your lesson, but be sure to always prepare for not only yourself, but your beardie as well in the event of a hurricane!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom