Pookie's Minions - Pookie's Gone ☹

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Most of you know that Pookie had always been very in-tuned with not only my emotional/physical well being, but Digi's as well, and how he'd become depressed if I or Digi were. Well, I have something to throw out there for all of you to "speculate" if I'm delirious and am totally reading into something that isn't there.

While conversing with Deb a few nights ago, I had asked if it'd be possible that Pookie's ailments were what Digi had, that what he was going through was really what Digi was going through, but because she couldn't tell me that she was sick, he did it for her. I mean, the vet gave him 2 weeks left to live, and it was 3.5 weeks after his diagnosis that Digi passed away (thanks, Deb, for doing the math for me). Also, a few days before she passed away, he suddenly started to behave as if nothing had happened for the past 2 months; his appetite increased, his energy level increased, and his emotional state was better.

I wouldn't put it past him that he had an "empathic illness", seeing how he would always hold vigil next to Digi's house when she was making babies and whenever she wasn't feeling well, and how he wouldn't eat/drink if she didn't.

Am I crazy? Have I finally lost my last marble?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I agreed that it was so strange that he got better after she passed away and I think he did have an empathetic illness and it was Digi that was so sick. After all, it's been almost 8 weeks since his diagnosis when he was given 2 weeks to live.

Continue with his meds, for sure, to be on the safe side, but when the med that you get from the vet is done, I would definitely get either an xray or an ultrasound done to see what's going on in his body. He is a very in-tuned beardie, so none of this is a surprise to me.

Keep on going Pookie, for a very long time to come :love5:

I'm just hoping you and I are right, Gina :D

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
shutterstock_178718180-674x493.jpg

Pookie just ate not one, . . . not two, . . . not three, . . . but FOUR white wormies! WHITE WORMIES!! He ate white wormies!!!!!

shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Gina, all your marbles are safely intact. You and your babies are extremely attuned to each other. I don't believe it's out of the realm of possibility that things might be just as you speculate.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
WOW, he ate 4 white supers?!?! Good for him! And YOU!

I agree that Pookie is VERY in tune to you and your other beardies. Something else to think about is how some men feel what their expectant wife is feeling, the nausea, movement, labor pains, etc. Perhaps he was feeling what she was going through. I agree with Deb to continue the meds you're giving now and then when gone, have an x-ray or U.S. scan done to see how things look.

SO happy to hear he is doing so great. Keep up the good work Pookie, you're making mommy & all of us very proud. :love10:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
But wait! There's more!!

After giving him his nightly milk thistle, I decided to give him another white worm (just because it was there ;) ), and he gobbled that up, too! Then, me being me, I asked him why he's suddenly eating the white wormies, if he had always liked them but allowed Digi to eat them because she loved them so much. As soon as I said that, he immediately turned his head and looked away from me. When I said, "Is that it?! You were letting Digi eat the white wormies??", he looked up back at me then lowered his head again.

470797555.jpg

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I don't think you have lost your marbles at all. Many animals will display in odd ways when another they have been around is sick. It would be like dogs when another they are around is ill and they care for each other and feel what the other is feeling if that makes sense. I like it to a woman in labor to have a child and her husband feels the pain to some degree. So little is known about reptiles and their brains in general, its quite possible that there was a degree of phantom illness or depression at the other being so sick. Glad Pookie is eating for you. Emmett loves the white worms too. Anyway just keep the faith that it was a phantom illness in regards to Digi being so sick. We, as humans can learn so much from our animal companions if we just watch and observe which you obviously do.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I had always guessed at the connection that Pookie and Digi had, but the more I saw, the more I was convinced that it was more than just being friends. Granted, Digi had that special knack at making everyone feel at ease and lessen whatever foul mood they were in. It wasn't until Digi had her babies that their connection rose to a whole new level. Honestly, if I hadn't witnessed it for myself, never in a million years would I believe it if someone had told me about it. Of course, I won't know for sure until another ultrasound is performed, to see if the tumor's still attached to his liver, if there are still tons of nodules on the liver, and if the liver itself is still abnormally large.

Tonja":8r91njsd said:
We, as humans can learn so much from our animal companions if we just watch and observe which you obviously do.
So true.

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Haven't been around and just caught up...AWESOME that Pookie is eating the white wormies!!! I also believe that animals are very tuned into each other as well as their slaves! I remember when the hubby was in ICU and was finally out and he asked to see Digger (he was in step down). I went home and asked DIgger if I could sneak him into the hospital to see daddy? (he was just mooping around) and as soon as I asked him he raised his head up really high and started scratching at the glass!!!! Needless to say I snuck him into the hospital and went I got to the hubby's room and put him on the bed, he immediately ran up to his neck licked him a lot then snuggled:) When the nurse finally came in I thought I would get in trouble, she went to get her phone to take a pic, lol!

Defintely believe they are in tune!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thank you so much for telling us about Digger and his relationship with his Daddy. I'm sure he was in heaven to be able to cuddle with Daddy again.
(when are you going to get another beardie?)

Pookie is still eating the regular supers and his Cheerios; it's his liking with the white ones that's a surprise. Other than horn worms, he hates squishy feeders, but would eat soft veggies. Another strange behavior I have yet to figure out.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I had given two supers to Pookie this morning, but all he did was look at them. He had absolutely no interest in eating them, even when one of them was eating the bunch of escarole on his couch, right in front of him. A little later, I found a white super and put that in front of him, and within seconds, he inhaled it. Then I gave him one that had shed last night, but hasn't fully formed an exoskeleton yet. Again, he inhaled it. A while later, I found another white super and offered it to Pookie, thinking that he wouldn't be interested; boy was I wrong! He inhaled that one as well!

He did eat regular supers yesterday, so it's not that he doesn't like them anymore or he can't chew them.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
They have their days, for sure, when you're scratching your head wondering what they're up to :D I offered Nathaniel a white worm, he inhaled it, too. Then I offered him another one & he wouldn't even look at it :roll: He still won't eat on his own, yet he's not losing weight. I feed him 3x a week but always hope he'll eat on his own. He's a strange little guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom