PLEASE HELP!! What IS this?!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is not real common in reptiles but, it does happen. The topical anti-fungus cream should
clear it up pretty quickly. As suggested, be sure to wash your hands well after handling your
dragon right now.
I hope she is feeling better soon.

Tracie

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Thank you all so much for the advice! I'll do a deep clean and look for F10.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how things are going! I hope she is doing better. Feel free to post pictures
& updates anytime.

Tracie

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Hi everyone,
I don't have any positive updates. I've been applying the cream for 28 days and it doesn't seem better.

Two weeks after we went to the vet I got my own black light so I could see it for myself, and thank God I did. The vet told me they found fungus "on her head and on her arm," but he never even showed me where on her head, so I assumed it was the little black spot I showed him in the email I'd sent him. No. It's a long strip across the back of her head.

So I was two weeks late to begin properly treating her head.

Her arm fungus does look different now. The black ring seems mostly gone but there's still just a patch, and it's gotten more yellow, so... I'm very scared that he misdiagnosed her fungus and that it's yellow fungus. It shows up under the black light still. The fungus on her head isn't visible to the naked eye for some reason, but yesterday I noticed a part of the top of her head look raised?? I don't know how to explain.

I'm gonna take photos but I can't right now. I just applied the cream and every time I do Pancake gets extremely distressed as if it hurts really bad for me to touch it. I feel so awful for her and so helpless.

She used to be so chill and now she's hunkered down staring at me, jumping at my slightest movement. She actually seemed to be breathing heavy for a moment when i set her back in her enclosure. She didn't even want a superworm. Usually that would snap her out of it.

There are so many awful things going on right now which isn't helping and I'm worried sick about her.

I texted the vet, but his office is closed on Mondays, so I don't know when he'll respond.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone,
I don't have any positive updates. I've been applying the cream for 28 days and it doesn't seem better.

Two weeks after we went to the vet I got my own black light so I could see it for myself, and thank God I did. The vet told me they found fungus "on her head and on her arm," but he never even showed me where on her head, so I assumed it was the little black spot I showed him in the email I'd sent him. No. It's a long strip across the back of her head.

Her arm fungus does look different now. The black ring seems mostly gone but there's still just a patch, and it's gotten more yellow, so... I'm very scared that he misdiagnosed her fungus and that it's yellow fungus. It shows up under the black light still. The fungus on her head isn't visible to the naked eye for some reason, but yesterday I noticed a part of the top of her head look raised?? I don't know how to explain.

I'm gonna take photos but I can't right now. I just applied the cream and every time I do Pancake gets extremely distressed as if it hurts really bad for me to touch it. I feel so awful for her and so helpless.

She used to be so chill and now she's hunkered down staring at me, jumping at my slightest movement. She actually seemed to be breathing heavy for a moment when i set her back in her enclosure. She didn't even want a superworm. Usually that would snap her out of it.

There are so many awful things going on right now which isn't helping and I'm worried sick about her.

I texted the vet, but his office is closed on Mondays, so I don't know when he'll respond.
Pictures please-- I would stop the cream if its not working and use some raw unfiltered honey--- a culture was not done at the office to determine what kind of fungus etc????????????

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hi everyone,

I feel so bad for you and your girl both. I hope you can get it under control.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Pictures please-- I would stop the cream if its not working and use some raw unfiltered honey--- a culture was not done at the office to determine what kind of fungus etc????????????
Nope. No culture that I know of. They took an x-ray FIRST to see if she had injury so they could charge me an extra $300, then they looked at her under a black light and said "oh, fungus." A vet tech on the phone told me "she tested positive for ringworm" but when I got there the vet never mentioned any tests and there wasn't anything about it on the itemized bill except the woods lamp. I go to him bc he's the only "reptile expert" in the area but it's still an hour away. They're really unprofessional.

He told me they start trying with this cream first because while the other kind of cream is more effective it also usually kills the lizard???

I promise I'll take a picture but you can't really see it through the cream right now and I swear she's gonna have a heart attack if I go near her rn.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
If you think the cream is burning/hurting her maybe send Tracie @Drache613 a message with the paperwork from the vet and see if she has a better idea.
I don't know what cream they are talking about, but i think the stuff with pain releavers in it are maybe toxic to them. I know i see on here all the time not to use those.
As far as i know ringworm and athletes foot are the same thing, you might be able to use tenactin or an equivalent (i would ask a vet or Tracie first though)

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
The cream is terbinafine hydrochloride 1%. I took a photo of the one they tried to make me pay for because they wanted to give me a huge tube that was gonna be way more than I needed so I made sure I got one with the exact same ingredients to save a bit.

Here are the photos of her head, the arm, and the medicine. You can see how she's staring at me in the picture of her head. I think my black light flashlight scared her, because this time she freaked out when I picked up the flashlight and before I applied the cream.

She's totally frozen like this except for when I move around the room, then she flinches and tries to scoot farther away. I'm staying away right now so she can hopefully calm down, but I went back to take the photos.

20230710_161908.jpg
20230710_161830.jpg
20230710_161843.jpg

The head fungus is on the back of her head, but it’s not visible. I attached a picture bc I feel like her head looks weirdly concave right now. Mayne I'm just being paranoid

Attachments

• 20230710_161908.jpg
    20230710_161908.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230710_161822.jpg
    20230710_161822.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230710_161843.jpg
    20230710_161843.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 49

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
If you think the cream is burning/hurting her maybe send Tracie @Drache613 a message with the paperwork from the vet and see if she has a better idea.
I don't know what cream they are talking about, but i think the stuff with pain releavers in it are maybe toxic to them. I know i see on here all the time not to use those.
As far as i know ringworm and athletes foot are the same thing, you might be able to use tenactin or an equivalent (i would ask a vet or Tracie first though)
Are vets supposed to give you paperwork??? They just print me a bill and send me on my way. I've never even seen her medical records. I asked them to put my email on file so I could access them, but they ignored my message.

Yeah, I have heard that creams with painkillers are used to euthanize invasive frogs, so that makes sense. I wish I knew what treatment exactly he was talking about. The guy seems so indifferent. He wouldn't have even caught that she needed surgery if I hadn't asked for a second x-ray that time way back in March.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
personally, i'd look for another vet. we have to drive 2 hours one way to get to ours, but quality care is definitely worth it. it doesn't sound like this guy knows what he's talking about and is just using you to make money. here's a link to look others up in case you don't already have it. if you're in a rural area like we are, type in the zip code of a larger city. Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians | ARAV Membership

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
personally, i'd look for another vet. we have to drive 2 hours one way to get to ours, but quality care is definitely worth it. it doesn't sound like this guy knows what he's talking about and is just using you to make money. here's a link to look others up in case you don't already have it. if you're in a rural area like we are, type in the zip code of a larger city. Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians | ARAV Membership
Thank you so much. I found only 1 vet within a 50 mile radius, but they seem good and I requested an appointment. Hopefully they get back to me soon.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
You paid for those test, the results belong to you, don't take no for an answer. Email or paper which ever.
I've had to go in and stand right in front of them and demand they be sent right now before. But i did get them.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
You paid for those test, the results belong to you, don't take no for an answer. Email or paper which ever.
I've had to go in and stand right in front of them and demand they be sent right now before. But i did get them.
I'm gonna call them tomorrow and make sure I get access to her medical records. I want to have them especially because I just made an appointment with a new vet thanks to @hdochow. I can tell they will be better already. Just from the phone call I can tell they're animal lovers with lots of exotic experience. Her appointment is at 1:30 on the 16th.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom