PLEASE HELP!! What IS this?!

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Just called Riverside again to ask them why her records on the website are so barren and incorrect. I want to emphasize that I've called them twice before trying to access her records, and that the second time I asked them to just email them to me as a PDF. I even made it easier for them by sending an email for them to respond to, so they don't even have to type in the address and risk it being wrong. I even let them know on the phone that I sent an email because they keep telling me they never saw my emails.

Her response is that they "only do paper records."

Excuse me?

Then what is the point of being able to log in and check them on the website?! Why didn't they tell me that when I called the first two times asking for access to her medical records?? Did they not think I was actually trying to see what was on them?!?! I don't understand why they'd have a portal for that in the first place if they don't tell you anything.

So I said to her, "So you can't just email me a PDF with her records and all her x-rays?"

And she said they can but they have to scan everything in first.

WOW IT'S ALMOST LIKE I ALREADY REQUESTED THAT A COUPLE DAYS AGO.

I asked her when I should receive the email by. She said, "sometime today," but that's what they told me last time and I didn't get an email, so I asked for a specific time, and she said "by 3:00." That's EST. It's 12:22 p.m. now. We'll see. They close at 6 today and I'm expecting to have to call back.

I was too upset after that, so my mom (bless her) called the new vet on my behalf and asked them to request Pancake's medical records as well. Not a shock but the receptionists at the new vet are so much more friendly, informative, and helpful.

I just hope that means Pancake will be in better hands on Sunday.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I learned a long time ago, it does no good to yell at the employees, they forget you before your out the door. It's much more rewarding to find the general manager or owner and absolutely verbally flay that person. Your guaranteed that everyone there will walk on egg shells the rest of the day. 😉
Still though the best is forums and the BBB you hurt their bottom line and then you'll have their undivided attention.

Spider8ait1994

Hatchling Member
That first vet is incredibly incompetent and from the sounds of it shouldn’t even be practicing at all.
I’m lucky to have a good vet over here for my two boys but as a precaution one of the things I do it keep my own records so I have a notebook for each of my boys and I note down what they’ve eaten, any medications and their dosage or supplements and whether they’ve pooped for each day then do a weight and summary of any issues, behaviour etc at the end of each month.
I also photograph any injuries or issues and clip those into the front cover of the book as a visual record alongside printouts of any X-rays or scans they’ve had done then take that book to each vet appointment.
It’s just handy to have a bit of a record of their diet and past/current issues.
Additionally on my computer I have a document I type a more comprehensive record of any health issues or procedures up in.
Might be something you’d be interested in doing just so you’ll definitely have at least some sort of record on hand if needed.
Additionally in the latest photos you’ve posted to me at least the mark on her arm doesn’t look like yellow fungus disease but it does seem like the back portion of her head is a bit sunken but if she hasn’t been eating as much with all this it could just be her fat pads are depleted somewhat.
I also wonder if some Meloxicam might do her good since you said she seems to be in pain when you touch the mark and Meloxicam would offer some pain relief for her.
If that is something this new vet ends up giving you I’d give her that then wait about 10 minutes to kick in before administering any other treatment for the issue just so she’s more comfortable if you need to touch the tender spots.
Hoping everything goes well for you and pancake with the new vet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That doesn't look like Y.F, it might be the treated scales are going to shed there.
Sorry tou're having such trouble with the vet and that they got $300 for nothing.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Here's an update now that we're back from the new vet.

He didn't want to do a culture. He seemed pretty certain that it was a fungus and thought it would be better to just start her on an oral antifungal. He did call it yellow fungus disease but he said something about using it like a general term, and he didn't think there was a lot of cause for concern. He also said she looked very healthy otherwise.

Maybe it didn't look like it in the pictures I sent, but it is still a lesion according to the vet and it's pretty yellow in color compared to the rest of her. She's started a shed on her head as of yesterday and it looks really different to that.

I just got an email with all the doctor's notes from the exam, and I'll attach the treatment plan they wrote with the medication.

Screenshot_20230716_162413_Drive.jpg

I also just want to say that this vet, staff, and office were incredibly professional and friendly. Dr. Fyfe is also a bearded dragon owner himself. I wouldn't have found them without you all so I'm really grateful. They were so much better and it was obvious the second we pulled up, let alone walked in. I hope the oral antifungal will finally put an end to this for Pancake's sake.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

He didn't want to do a culture. He seemed pretty certain that it was a fungus and thought it would be better to just start her on an oral antifungal. He did call it yellow fungus disease but he said something about using it like a general term, and he didn't think there was a lot of cause for concern. He also said she looked very healthy otherwise.

Maybe it didn't look like it in the pictures I sent, but it is still a lesion according to the vet and it's pretty yellow in color compared to the rest of her. She's started a shed on her head as of yesterday and it looks really different to that.

I just got an email with all the doctor's notes from the exam, and I'll attach the treatment plan they wrote with the medication.

View attachment 82222

I also just want to say that this vet, staff, and office were incredibly professional and friendly. Dr. Fyfe is also a bearded dragon owner himself. I wouldn't have found them without you all so I'm really grateful. They were so much better and it was obvious the second we pulled up, let alone walked in. I hope the oral antifungal will finally put an end to this for Pancake's sake.
Keep us posted please

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)

View attachment 82222

I'm glad you found a competent vet, hopefully Pancake is on her way to recovery. You have both been through way to much.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
Hey all. Pancake has been taking her antibiotics every other day, so six treatments so far. I don't know how long it should take to see results since she's supposed to have thirty doses. And I had difficulty with the first few because I was doing it alone and had difficulty getting it all in her mouth (some spilled out). Now I have someone to do it while I hold her mouth open for a sec, so it's fine now.

I actually thought it was looking better; the yellow patch seemed to be shrinking, but she just shed the area off to reveal—guess what—that there's still been a black ring underneath this whole time. I'm flabbergasted. The sheds around the area have been quite yellow, while the rest have been the usual pale color save for her dark scales. It just seems weird.
20230731_141844.jpg
20230731_141421.jpg

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
ALSO-- Something has happened to her claw on the same arm that looks very concerning. It's so hard to see that I didn't realize just how crazy it looked until I took a picture just now. I dont know if this is fungus too or what. I swear, there's always something going wrong.
20230731_142830.jpg

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
ALSO-- Something has happened to her claw on the same arm that looks very concerning. It's so hard to see that I didn't realize just how crazy it looked until I took a picture just now. I dont know if this is fungus too or what. I swear, there's always something going wrong.
View attachment 82681
20230731_142830.jpg

Full image so you can see it better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey all. Pancake has been taking her antibiotics every other day, so six treatments so far. I don't know how long it should take to see results since she's supposed to have thirty doses. And I had difficulty with the first few because I was doing it alone and had difficulty getting it all in her mouth (some spilled out). Now I have someone to do it while I hold her mouth open for a sec, so it's fine now.

I actually thought it was looking better; the yellow patch seemed to be shrinking, but she just shed the area off to reveal—guess what—that there's still been a black ring underneath this whole time. I'm flabbergasted. The sheds around the area have been quite yellow, while the rest have been the usual pale color save for her dark scales. It just seems weird.
View attachment 82679
View attachment 82680
Let's have ahbd help here
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It looks sort of like it did in the beginning. Having an actual scraping to test is always best before putting any creature , including us humans, on a long course of powerful meds. like Pancake is on.
The nail is probably harmless but you can apply a betadine mix a few times a day just using a cotton ball or Q-tip to see how it does.

rubi9229

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Pancake
It looks sort of like it did in the beginning. Having an actual scraping to test is always best before putting any creature , including us humans, on a long course of powerful meds. like Pancake is on.
The nail is probably harmless but you can apply a betadine mix a few times a day just using a cotton ball or Q-tip to see how it does.
Thanks for your advice. I wanted the culture but the vet told he he didn't think it was worth the cost to me because he was pretty confident. I'll ask to have one done next time I take her in. For now I'll go to the drug store and buy some betadine.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Poor little girl 🤒. Hopefully the meds will lines things out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom