Play sand question

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
If it’s pre-packaged do I still need to clean it? I’m guessing not, but better safe than sorry.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Not at all if it's play sand from a gardening center.
I’m buying from a hardware store— the sand (or so I thought) ended up being walnut shells, which was written in small print that I failed to notice earlier.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
You don't have to wash any of the sand, does it say children's play sand ?
Okay. I haven’t arrived at the store just yet, but I’ll check the packaging. Is there a difference between children’s plays and ne regular play sand that I should be aware of?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Most home improvement stores have 2 or 3 types. And most will have one that's labeled playsand or something similar.

-Brandon

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Most home improvement stores have 2 or 3 types. And most will have one that's labeled playsand or something similar.

-Brandon
Found the playsand. I’m seeing mixed opinions across the internet though, saying it shouldn’t be used due to extra fine particles. Is that a genuine issue or more false info? Should I be worried about Leo’s eyes if I use this? Also, since sand absorbs liquids what should I do with the clumps that form from the stool?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
No, it's all safe.
Found the playsand. I’m seeing mixed opinions across the internet though, saying it shouldn’t be used due to extra fine particles. Is that a genuine issue or more false info? Should I be worried about Leo’s eyes if I use this? Also, since sand absorbs liquids what should I do with the clumps that form from the stool?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No concern. Any other option you look into in regards to a loose substrate is going to have fine particles too.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've used it since the 90's, no problems. You scoop a large area out wherever the dragon has poo'd and since you generally don't use the entire bag in one enclosure you have plenty left to add. You can always buy 2 at a time or also plain topsoil to mix.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I've used it since the 90's, no problems. You scoop a large area out wherever the dragon has poo'd and since you generally don't use the entire bag in one enclosure you have plenty left to add. You can always buy 2 at a time or also plain topsoil to mix.
I’ve got two 40lb bags. I haven’t gotten the chance to go to a plant nursery yet, so I don’t have any organic topsoil. I’ll likely add it to the mix if I can find it. I have an extra scoop, so that should work out just fine.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Play sand is not the same as contractors sand. It's much finer. The contractors sand is course and can have grains large enough to call pebbles, I would avoid that.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Play sand is not the same as contractors sand. It's much finer. The contractors sand is course and can have grains large enough to call pebbles, I would avoid that.
I have regular playsand, so that isn’t an issue. Thanks for the warning

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom