picking up beardie poop without gagging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synastral

Hatchling Member
I spot clean nefarions poop, i use a paper towel and grab the poop and drop it in the toilet, how do i stop myself from gagging along the way?

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Breath through your mouth or hold your breath?

Also, be careful about flushing paper towels down the toilet - it can really mess up your plumbing :)

bobbycarp

Hatchling Member
Keep bags by the tank, put poop in bag. put in outside trash. Hold your breathe until the bag is closed. You could also buy doggy poop bags to pick it up. Probably the better choice so you don't get wetness or poop on your hands and forget to wash them.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
I'm using scent-free baby wipes to pick it up, chlorhexidine on paper towels to scrub the cage floor, and then frequent trash bag changes! The wipes seem to gather all the stink up and keep it together, the disinfectant kills the smell in the cage, and then just getting it out of the house altogether helps. You can also stick a little febreeze thing on the side of the can. I will admit I have considered something like a diaper genie for when he gets older and those poops get big!

Synastral

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, i might need to get a diaper for him aswell... :lol:

But i would think that the smell would be less rancid as they get older and as they eat more veggies, as the babies eat alot of crickets which smells really bad...

bobbycarp

Hatchling Member
If they are anything like people that eat little meat and mostly veggies and fruit then don't expect it to smell any better. Maybe someone with an adult eating mostly veggies will chime in.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
bobbycarp":3ppl8jwq said:
If they are anything like people that eat little meat and mostly veggies and fruit then don't expect it to smell any better. Maybe someone with an adult eating mostly veggies will chime in.

Its definitely worse

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
If you potty train him, you wont have to pick up poop. I dont. Mine has a little bathtub that she gets her bath in, she poops in the bath, I remove her from the tray and rinse her off and dump the tray in the toilet.
No poop, no smell! :blob8:

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe it's just me but Harleys poop isn't gagging stinky. I mean it doesn't smell like roses but it also doesn't smell her cage up. If your beardies poop smells so bad it makes you gag, you might need to take a sample in for parasite check at the vet. Like I said, it won't smell like roses and yes it will stink but it shouldn't be so strong it smells up the room, her cage and makes you physically ill.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
if it is horribly smelling poop that makes you vomit and seems to go to every room, your beardie may have parasites.

Reptaid can help with that. it actually helps with a lot of things.

but, yeah, no one warns you about the smell.

i can say that i think i have gotten more used to it to where i don't feel like throwing up when i do have to clean it. i did use disposable gloves to clean.

now that both of my babies are potty trained i only have to clean up accidents once in a while.
Dargon will tell me he has to go (runs to the corner and scratches), and will not go in his viv unless he really can't hold it. that also means he will go anywhere outside of his viv.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah Harley goes on her top brick under the heat lamp so cleaning it is easy. I just take the brick out, grab some toilet paper and scoop it into the toilet. Then I wash the spot under hot water and then rinse with cooler water to cool the brick down so it's not skin melting hot. then dry it off and back in her cage.

dragonscales

Hatchling Member
I keep a box of cheap fold top sandwich baggies near Ember’s cage. I get the poo up with some paper towel and put it in the baggie then quickly tie it off while trying to do it in one breath :lol: I think It helps a little with the smell. I have not tried it with the zip top bags so I don’t know if it would hold back the smell any better.

RobertsKitty

Hatchling Member
I honestly cannot smell Loki's poops unless I put my nose right on it. I never have any problems personally....

Synastral

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It isn't even the smell of poop, its the squishiness, the fact that im holding poop that grosses me out. i turn away and run but i still am disgusted. it doesnt smell HORRID.. if you stick your face in the cage in the corner he pooped, yeah, it'll smell, but the smell isnt the problem, its the whole mentality, how do i get over it?

Synastral

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My mom recommended it drying out and then picking it up, is that a good idea, or should i literally pick it up right after it comes out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom