Paprika?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePonz

Is it safe to feed paprika to your beardie. My friend said that he gave his female some and she colored up Alot so I was wondering if it was bad for them

ThePonz

Original Poster
I actually added it some with the calcium powder on the crickets and he got blood red in two days and looked absolutely beautiful I'm going to look a little more into this and get some pictures up

sirenique

Hatchling Member
I think it's kind of risky to give an animal that can't regulate its own body temperature a substance that will internally heat them up and spike their metabolism... :/

Paprika is a type of "Bell Pepper". If you look at the Bearded Dragon Nutrition Chart you will find this listing

Food Item Ca:p Protein Fat Fiber Sugar Water Notes
Bell Pepper (red) 1:2 .9% .2% 2.0% 92% High vit. C (19%), high vit. A (57 IU/g), moderate oxalates (1171 ppm) Feed occasionally

Paprika is high in beta -carotene(26162 mcg) & Lutein + zeaxanthn (18944 mcg ) ALL of which are needed by the pigment cells within the skin to manufacture the natural pigment color of the Bearded Dragon. This is why some "High Color" morphs fade. They are not getting the proper nutrients in their diet to maintain their high color.

This is why your dragon is coloring us so much. You are feeding it the caretinoids it has been missing in its normal diet. These nutriceuticals won't make a plain lizard beautiful, but it will help maintain the natural colors of a brightly colored pet. In this case beauty is skin deep. Bird fanciers have been using specialty foods for decades "Red factor Canary Food" is an example.

One should always be careful of specialty food items. Being related to safe foods is a fairly safe indication of being safe. But caution is still best by trying small amounts first.

I am surprised you noticed the difference so fast. Usually you have to wait fopr a couple of sheds to see any difference. The old skin has to be shed before the new skin made with the extra nutrient can be seen.

It is not so much specifically ...Why would you want to give it paprika?... But more "How can I give my dragon ALL the nutrients it needs?"

Why do you dust?
Why do you give it vitamins?
why do you use UVB lamps?

Each one of these is an attempt to correct a possible short coming of keeping the animal as a pet in a terrarium inside of a house. ALL of which restrict its' natural ability to choose what's best for it. In nature the Dragon would be eating a variety of vegies and insects. Some of which would contain the micro-nutrients (Lutein + zeaxanthn) found in paprika. Paprika simply represents a source of these micro-nutrients. You could feed superworms, tomatoe paste(a source of lutein, another pigment micro-nutrient) and then feed these superworms to your dragon. You could feed your dragon nasturtium or marigold , or hibiscus flowers, etc

The point if you want your dragon to show its full natural colors, you must feed it something which contains the precursor nutrients its' natural skin pigment cells require.

Paprika simply represents one source of this.

ThePonz

Original Poster
thanks for the two who gave me more of a scientific look at it this helps alot and I feel much safer giving this to him thanks

mostlyharmlessnj

Hatchling Member
ThePonz":15ezrzpl said:
thanks for the two who gave me more of a scientific look at it this helps alot and I feel much safer giving this to him thanks

I would say, as with everything else, moderation is going to be key here. Paprika is in the same family as bell peppers and ALSO in the same family is chili peppers.

Paprika can, at least in people, dogs, and cats, irritate mucus membranes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom