Panacur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
My beardie Guap was treated with Panacur for 3 days, 0.06 a day. He has not eaten, and I have read things about soy yogurt jump starting their appetite back up. Is this true, and has anyone tried it and seen positive results?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Yes soy yogurt or pro biotics help. I bought some for my dragon that had surgery and she didn't have a problem with her appetite.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Be sure that you get the non dairy, organic soy yogurt it is much healthier. They aren't able
to digest dairy very well so avoid the dairy.
Give that to your dragon daily for a week or two with help in restoring the gut flora.

Tracie

Poopdog

I've been having the same issue with my 7mo old Elliot! She was on panacur for four days at .17ml. She went from eating 30-40 small dubia/day to not wanting to touch anything at all within ten min of her first dose.

We got her to eat 10 dubia on day 2 after having given her .5g of soy yogurt. We switched to benebac as it was recommended by a lot of other beardie owners who dealt with the same thing but now she hasn't eaten since. We've been syringe feeding critical care and carnivore care for 3 days. Not fun for either of us and I'm pretty sure my beardie will never trust me again.

I'm starting to think that maybe the Benebac was spoiled (shipped from Amazon), so I'm going to back to yogurt tomorrow to see if it helps. So far the its the only thing that I can actually tie to her eating since the Panacur.

The worst part of this whole process is that the vet refuses to entertain the idea that this Couldve been triggered by the Panacur despite it being an obvious trigger. Elliot's pinworm count was so low they weren't even going to put her on it and her eating was normal since they day we got her up until the first dose

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things coming along?
Probiotics definitely work. Vets most of the time only go by what standard medicine books set
guidelines just like Doctors. It's the gray area that we need to be looking in, which is why a
lot of people have looked towards alternatives like probiotics.
Most of the time, medications do affect their appetites, absolutely. Of course, there are always
exceptions but we are all constantly learning about reptiles. I don't think we'll ever know even
half of what they are here to teach us.

Tracie

Poopdog

ChillyReefa":2h4jht8e said:
Drache613 - Thank you for that. I will most definitely do that.

Chillyreefa, sending you a message since our dragons are going through the same thing. Maybe we can share progress and change noted to help each other out

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Drache613":26405aky said:
Hello,

How are things coming along?
Probiotics definitely work. Vets most of the time only go by what standard medicine books set
guidelines just like Doctors. It's the gray area that we need to be looking in, which is why a
lot of people have looked towards alternatives like probiotics.
Most of the time, medications do affect their appetites, absolutely. Of course, there are always
exceptions but we are all constantly learning about reptiles. I don't think we'll ever know even
half of what they are here to teach us.

Tracie

Totally agree with Tracie, I don't why people are fighting more natural treatments like probiotics (which aren't even something that isn't recognized by modern medicine). There are too many dragons on this forum right now that have been put on 1, 2, 3, 4, or even more prescription meds over the span of a month or 2 and have not been well since, and are now circling the drain because of the meds. And I think a lot of vets, even reptile vets are afraid to not prescribe a medication when a dragon fecal shows up positive for low or moderate coccidia or pinworms, when it's perfectly natural for a dragon to have a low to moderate count of Coccidia or pinworms at any given time. Only if the count/load comes back as high or "Too numerous to count" or if the dragon is showing outward signs of illness like a loss of appetite or lethargy for a couple of days or more should they medicate them with these harsh drugs, because they are consistently making them worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom