Mouth Infection Gash

GZilla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Have a young beardie and noticed what looks like a gash and infection on and around his/her mouth. Doesn’t seem to be impacting appetite but he/she cannot open their eye very wide (keeps it closed for the most part). Took to the vet and they gave some silver sulfadiazine ointment for daily application and 10 ceftazidime injections to be given every 3 days. However I cannot tell if it is getting any better and the only diagnosis the vet gave was “some type of bacterial infection”. Has anyone seen anything like this, have any ideas what it might be, or what the healing process will look like? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpeg
    IMG_2418.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2455.jpeg
    IMG_2455.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 66

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Have a young beardie and noticed what looks like a gash and infection on and around his/her mouth. Doesn’t seem to be impacting appetite but he/she cannot open their eye very wide (keeps it closed for the most part). Took to the vet and they gave some silver sulfadiazine ointment for daily application and 10 ceftazidime injections to be given every 3 days. However I cannot tell if it is getting any better and the only diagnosis the vet gave was “some type of bacterial infection”. Has anyone seen anything like this, have any ideas what it might be, or what the healing process will look like? Thanks!
The eye looks worse- please get some raw unfiltered honey on it- you can water it down a little and use a q tip- what kind of substrate and your uvb and basking bulb these can all cause eye issues-

GZilla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
The eye looks worse- please get some raw unfiltered honey on it- you can water it down a little and use a q tip- what kind of substrate and your uvb and basking bulb these can all cause eye issues-
Substrate is eco earth coconut fiber given to us by the store. The uvb is ZooMed reptisun 10.0 and basking was switch to a 60w infrared projector… but the problem started before the switch.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Substrate is eco earth coconut fiber given to us by the store. The uvb is ZooMed reptisun 10.0 and basking was switch to a 60w infrared projector… but the problem started before the switch.
The uvb is a long tube fixture or coil? Please get a clear solid bright white basking bulb - heat projectors are good for night time use not basking - your dragon needs UVA they do not have that and can't produce temps high enough to start digestion - the screen on the tank is going to determine the placement and distance of the uvb if it's a long tube

GZilla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
The uvb is a long tube fixture or coil? Please get a clear solid bright white basking bulb - heat projectors are good for night time use not basking - your dragon needs UVA they do not have that and can't produce temps high enough to start digestion - the screen on the tank is going to determine the placement and distance of the uvb if it's a long tube
UVB is a long tube. I don’t know what the screen on the tank is. Looks like the typical wire mesh. It all came packaged together by the reptile store we bought him/her at…. Not one of those pre made ones… but one they built in store

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
UVB is a long tube. I don’t know what the screen on the tank is. Looks like the typical wire mesh. It all came packaged together by the reptile store we bought him/her at…. Not one of those pre made ones… but one they built in store
Post a pic of the screen please is the bulb a T 8 or a T 5

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am using infrared thermometers. Heat gradient is not a problem. I am not sure if the UVB is T5 or T8.. ReptiSun® 10.0 Compact Fluorescent | Zoo Med Laboratories, Inc.
Ok that is your eye/ mouth issue --- coils are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues including eye -- please replace w/ one of these
a 24" for a 40+ gallon tank
Zoo Med you will need to replace the bulb w/ a 10.0 bulb I will post link as well
22" bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
or this one found at Pet Smart Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart 12% bulb 24 watt
or this one you will need to replace the bulb w/ the one posted above the Reptisun you want the 2 ft or 24" fixture Amazon.ca Something Went Wrong / Quelque chose s'est mal passé this is the fixture my site I send people to is down for maintenance its cheaper on this site around $32 I am posting the site check it https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
you need to replace this UVB asap -- also the thermometers have a probe on them ? If not you want ones w/ probes for accurate temps in the tank I am flagging post to our vet tech Tracie
@Drache613

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little Zilla, that's a serious infection. Best to take out the loose substrate because even a little bit of dried poo or anything else will add bacteria to that wound site. Use paper towels for now or non adhesive shelf liner. It's very important to keep it clean. Use the RAW UNPASTEURIZED honey on the entire area, you can still use the silver cream but raw honey may work even better. I hope your little guy can recover, so sorry you are dealing with such a distressing problem.

GZilla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Poor little Zilla, that's a serious infection. Best to take out the loose substrate because even a little bit of dried poo or anything else will add bacteria to that wound site. Use paper towels for now or non adhesive shelf liner. It's very important to keep it clean. Use the RAW UNPASTEURIZED honey on the entire area, you can still use the silver cream but raw honey may work even better. I hope your little guy can recover, so sorry you are dealing with such a distressing problem.
Thanks. Do we just put the honey straight on or do we dilute it? And do we put it around the eye or over?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that looks painful for Zilla. The honey will work better than the silver cream. The honey can be
used entirely on & inside of the mouth area, as well as on the eye area safely. If you need to use it in
the eye, like an eye drop, dilute it with warm water, to thin it out some so you can drop some into the
eye area.
You can use the honey around the eye tissue, safely. It doesn't take much though, it will spread easily.

Tracie

GZilla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Hello,

Wow, that looks painful for Zilla. The honey will work better than the silver cream. The honey can be
used entirely on & inside of the mouth area, as well as on the eye area safely. If you need to use it in
the eye, like an eye drop, dilute it with warm water, to thin it out some so you can drop some into the
eye area.
You can use the honey around the eye tissue, safely. It doesn't take much though, it will spread easily.

Tracie
Hi… was hoping to get your opinion on progress. We kept applying the silver and giving antibiotic injection as directed by the vet… also applied raw honey overnight. Replaced the heat source, UVB, and replaced loose substrate with reptile carpet as suggested. His eye looks better. Opening normally. Appetite and energy normal. Currently shedding. Looks like a scab on his lip but not sure and what to expect. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpeg
    IMG_2500.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 38

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy. Is he eating, does it seem painful to him ? Hopefully it doesn't feel as bad as it looks. It will never look like a normal mouth but the goal would be to stop infection and live a somewhat normal life.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom