Mouth Infection Gash

GZilla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Have a young beardie and noticed what looks like a gash and infection on and around his/her mouth. Doesn’t seem to be impacting appetite but he/she cannot open their eye very wide (keeps it closed for the most part). Took to the vet and they gave some silver sulfadiazine ointment for daily application and 10 ceftazidime injections to be given every 3 days. However I cannot tell if it is getting any better and the only diagnosis the vet gave was “some type of bacterial infection”. Has anyone seen anything like this, have any ideas what it might be, or what the healing process will look like? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpeg
    IMG_2418.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2455.jpeg
    IMG_2455.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 66

GZilla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Poor little guy. Is he eating, does it seem painful to him ? Hopefully it doesn't feel as bad as it looks. It will never look like a normal mouth but the goal would be to stop infection and live a somewhat normal life.
He eats fine and it doesn’t seem to bother him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow that's surprising , glad that Zilla at least has that going for him. And his eye looks good , too so yes that's definite improvement. :) We'll see what Drache has to say.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates on Zilla? I hope the infection is starting to clear up for him, bless him.
Are you using the raw honey daily on him?
I think his eye looks a little better. I'm glad that his appetite is normal too!

Tracie

GZilla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Hello,

Any updates on Zilla? I hope the infection is starting to clear up for him, bless him.
Are you using the raw honey daily on him?
I think his eye looks a little better. I'm glad that his appetite is normal too!

Tracie
I am not sure… the swelling looks like it has gone down which has allowed his eye to fully open. There was what looked like a gash (which was the beginning) that now has what looks like a scab… but I am not sure. Any thoughts?

We were using the honey regularly but the last time we put it on in the eve it seemed to flare up the area by the morning then would go down by the afternoon. You can kind of see where it flares up in the image… where it’s pinkish. Not sure if he is scratching it or what.

Other than that he seems to be fine. Although, even at the height of the infection he was eating and active. He is hiding a little more lately but I think that’s because he has begun to shed.

IMG_2500.jpeg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It looks like the tissue has grown there, honey can help with that but right now if it seems like he's scratching at it maybe leave it be for a while.
One question no one asked, what did the vet do that caused such a drastic change , the before vet pic shows an injury but afterwards it looks like it was cauterized or debrided or had too much tissue removed, do you see what I mean ? Like they tried to strip that away when it should have been treated with antibiotics and just a topical like the silver cream [ or honey ]

GZilla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
It looks like the tissue has grown there, honey can help with that but right now if it seems like he's scratching at it maybe leave it be for a while.
One question no one asked, what did the vet do that caused such a drastic change , the before vet pic shows an injury but afterwards it looks like it was cauterized or debrided or had too much tissue removed, do you see what I mean ? Like they tried to strip that away when it should have been treated with antibiotics and just a topical like the silver cream [ or honey ]
Vet didn’t do much physically… a visual inspection and a swab. Gave us the silver and additional antibiotic injections and sent us on our way. The after vet image was after the silver was applied for the first time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It looks like the area is healing, slowly. His eye looks good, so that is very positive to
see.
I would definitely continue to use the honey
on the mouth & eye area. I hope he continues to improve!

Tracie

GZilla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Hello,

It looks like the area is healing, slowly. His eye looks good, so that is very positive to
see.
I would definitely continue to use the honey
on the mouth & eye area. I hope he continues to improve!

Tracie
Thanks for all of the advice. We have been following. He has completed his round of antibiotics injections and silver cream. Yesterday the scab (think it was a scab) fell off and now there is an opening into his mouth (image attached). Not sure if this will fill in or is something we need to manage or be worried about? He is eating fine and behaving normally.

Attachments

• IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    424.4 KB · Views: 40

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks for all of the advice. We have been following. He has completed his round of antibiotics injections and silver cream. Yesterday the scab (think it was a scab) fell off and now there is an opening into his mouth (image attached). Not sure if this will fill in or is something we need to manage or be worried about? He is eating fine and behaving normally.
Have you used the honey? That is going to promote healing

GZilla

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Have you used the honey? That is going to promote healing
Yes. We have been using the honey. He fights it at first and then realizes it tastes pretty good. Haha. Just want to know if we should be on the look out since it’s an opening to his mouth… or be doing anything specific to prevent repeat infections? And if it will close up or remain the same?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes. We have been using the honey. He fights it at first and then realizes it tastes pretty good. Haha. Just want to know if we should be on the look out since it’s an opening to his mouth… or be doing anything specific to prevent repeat infections? And if it will close up or remain the same?
I hope it will heal -- Tracie would need to answer that question

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Goodness, poor thing. The opening on the area there, should fill in probably with tissue & or
scar tissue. Continue using the honey to keep it from getting infected.
He is eating normally?
It will probably fill in slowly though but with keeping it clean & infection free hopefully it will
recover into healthy tissue.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom