not pooping

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizbeth5655

Hatchling Member
I have a two and a half year old male who will not poop for anything. I have tried bathing him multiple times in warm water and he is still not going. He has no signs of impaction. any other ideas?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Most of my males over 2 years old only poop every week or two depending on how much they eat and how much they bask. I doubt there's a problem, or he would be lethargic and act like he's not feeling good. For some reason, I think adult males are very efficient with the food they eat as well. Compared to my girls, the boys poop less, less often, and there's always a lot of water. Of course, they only eat about a quarter of what the girls do, so I'm sure that has something to do with it as well. Just hate the smell of old poo that's been inside too long.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Are you massaging his belly whilst you bathe him? ive heard that a little drop of olive oil can help them go

lizbeth5655

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for the help. i've read that applesauce will help things to start flowing and that you are supposed to just put some on the tip of their nose and they will lick it off but when i tried that, he just left it there and fell asleep with it on his nose. :D it was kinda cute but didnt help with he problem lol

lizbeth5655

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i tried massaging him and he just sat there. i tried applesauce as well since i heard that worked, but he let it sit on his nose an just went to sleep. it was really cute but didnt help. i contacted his previous owners and she said that it wasnt unusual for him to wait a while to go so i will continue trying i guess

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
How are his temps? Is he eating/basking much? He could still be in slow mode since it's still technically winter. All dragons seem to deveop a pattern and some just go longer between than others. Usually, if I want a dragon to lick something, I take the tip of the syringe and just push the bottom lip down so they get a taste. Once they taste it, they usually like it and keep licking. I just had a tiny baby eat a 1/4" roach and she was lethargic for 2 days, I started giving her pineapple juice as a last resort cause I didn't want to lose her. Today when I came home from work, she was alert and drank .5cc of a very watery slurry I made up. She's feeling much better now.

lizbeth5655

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i've checked all his temps. he doesnt eat much of his vegetables but sometimes will when i put his worms in with them, he gets tricked almost. i think he may just be eating too many supers and not enough veggies. im going to try and get him to eat some baby food tomorrow. not sure what else to try he basks all day so i dont think its that.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
If you feel his belly gently, you can usually feel the digestive tract. If there is a long, firm lump in there, he probably could use a little help. If you can't really feel much of anything, I wouldn't worry seriously about it. A little applesause helps, and I use pineapple juice on my tiny babies when they eat something to big and get lethargic. I just brought a baby back I thought surely would not make it after 2 days of being completely limp and lifeless. Like a miracle.

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
I have a female that is the same way....she will go a week, sometimes 2 before she poops. But she it totally fine otherwise. I am not worrying about it anymore. When she does go, it's normal.

JAE

Is he eating, and how is his behavior?
Is he active, sleeping alot etc.
I would say stop feeding insects only feed greens and veggies, warm bath, and massage the belly, olive oil as stated above, or some gatoraid. Mine love the kiwi strawberry.
Good Luck
Jae

lizbeth5655

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
he eats perfectly fine, his behavior is fine, he sleeps a lot, but that is nothing new. other than that he is offered greens everyday and just wont touch them unless i physically put them in his mouth. I've tried giving him other things such as applesauce or baby food, but he wont take from a syringe and when i put it on his nose, he wont lick it off. he just leaves it there and falls asleep

JAE

Oh...LOL Dont know where you are but heres its winter. Sounds like hes brumating. They dont eat much or poop much. Just sleep or lay there inactive. Usually in the winter months. Give him some time. If you see very noticble wait lose or sunken eyes then worry.
Jae

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I merged your 3 threads together about the same subject. It makes it easier for you and others that have responded to be able to follow the info that you've already been given. Also helps kekep the forum neater.

How long has it been since he pooped? The next time you give him a warm bath, massage on his right side from his armpit to vent area very gently and if you feel any hardened areas, massage them in a circular motion to try to move them closer to the vent.

Heating up the baby food applesauce so that it is quite warm helps to move things along and also makes it more pleasant for them rather than room temp or cold applesauce. Another thing that helps is to use a warm rice sock, take a sock, fill it with raw rice, tie a not in the end, heat it in the microwave for about 20 seconds, test the temp by the side of your cheek, should feel quite warm but not hot. Wrap the sock in a hand towel, then place your beardie on top of that & wrap him & the towel up together in a big fluffy towel, that will help hold the heat in for a while. The 3 steps, a warm bath (as well as massage), feeding the warm applesauce while in the bath and then blotting your beardie dry and placing on the rice sock, works very well to help with the pooping process.

You also have to make sure that the temps are optimal. If using anything OTHER than an infrared temp gun or digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end, you're not getting accurate temps so that's something else to consider.

Could you also fill us in on the brand & type of UVB you're using? That also has a lot to do with their pooping frequency as well as affecting their total health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom