New enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyT

Juvie Member
I just finished setting up my new enclosure. Its a 75 gallon fish tank (48x18x18). The substrate is half tile, half repticarpet.
IMG_0359.jpg
IMG_0360.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg
IMG_0362.jpg
IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg
IMG_0366.jpg
IMG_0367.jpg
IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_0370.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0374.jpg
Comments welcome!

Andy

definitions

Juvie Member
I'm kind of a newbie to bearded dragon keeping as I have only had mine for about a month. I would have to say you have a very nice setup. Very clean and everything is well placed. Hope you have many Years of fun and healthy dragon keeping.!

AndyT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No, no I did not know that there was an enclosure section. And why shouldn't I post on the general section? General applies to everything, including vivs. I posted this to see if anyone could find any problems, and on the general section, there may be more people with experience. There are so may topics on here, my tank should be able to be posted as well. Thank you, constructive people.
Andy

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
My only concern, after looking over your new enclosure, is that the UVB light seems like it is maybe too high up. If you are using fluorescent tubes, your beardie needs to be able to get within 6-8" of the bulbs, so you will need to somehow lower your fixtures or build up a basking spot a little higher.

AndyT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, I certainly can't get the bulbs closer. It's a 10.0, so it says it works at up to 20 inches away, plus it's only 18 inches high, plus his basking spots are 4- 8 inches up. So he is only 10-14 inches from the UV light Shouldn't that be fine?

Toyguy

Juvie Member
It's hard to tell from the photos, but is the enclosure screened, and is the UVB bulb above the screen? I was under the impression that didn't allow much UVB through.

Dave

AndyT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
There is a screen, but the UV fixture is behind the screen. I realize that a screen blocks UV, so I worked it out. The enclosure is 18" wide, the screen is 13" wide, and the light fixture is 5" wide, so it fits perfectly. His basking bulbs are on the screen, but that doesn't matter.

Andy

Frito

Hatchling Member
most fine screens reduce UVB by approx 25-30%

it is best to move florescent fixtures into the viv so your beardie is 6-8" from the bulb while also being in the basking spot, it seems hard to do but some wire or good double sided sticky tape will solve these problems :)

AndyT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'll see what I can do about getting it closer. It is not on the screen. Thanks!

Andy

orionshaft

AndyT":2evzw6rn said:
No, no I did not know that there was an enclosure section. And why shouldn't I post on the general section? General applies to everything, including vivs. I posted this to see if anyone could find any problems, and on the general section, there may be more people with experience. There are so may topics on here, my tank should be able to be posted as well. Thank you, constructive people.
Andy

general discussion is for anything there is NOT a forum for. jeez :evil:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moved here from General Discussion forum since it is about an enclosure

Your setup looks very nice, love the greenery and the basking options. He's a lucky little guy and it's obvious that you spent a lot of time figuring out just how you wanted it. 8) I do agree though, that it would be a good idea to try to get him a little closer to the UVB so he can get the full benefit of the bulb.

AndyT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have set up another log so that he can get closer. He immediately climbed to the top and stared at the bulb for a while. I'm going to buy some cork bark soon to set up as basking spots.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom