New babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
Not sure if I will use them as feeders but was looking in on the hissers (got the wife a pair for Christmas) the other day she said she saw a few littleones in there. Well she wasn't looking close enough. I found 30 babies.
100_0498-1.jpg

Proud mama and papa
100_0499-1.jpg

congrads on the new babies, are you going to use the babies as feeders or are you going to use them to start up a bigger colony? im just curius how long does it take for the babies to grow to the adult stage and how do you keep them from getting out of there tank?

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
Original Poster
just had the 2 adults to begin with. now we have over 30 little ones. they are currently in a 10 gal aquarium with vaseline smeared around the top couple inches. pretty much keeps them in. working on a new home for them now a 20 gallon tote give them a bit more room to play. only got them for my wife for christmas and wanted to see what the babies were like and see how long it takes for them to grow and such. I am sure there are others that can answer better on how long it takes to reach adulthood. only thing I know is they live 3-5 years and the 2 adults we have are pretty easy to handle. they rarely climb the glass. the babies thoughlike to climb when I was in there checking them out. I don't intend to use them as feeders but maybe in the future

Are the hissers pretty much like Dubias? So it's safe to use them as feeders? I've been researching around, but can't seem to find them for dragons, just tarantulas.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
Original Poster
the adults are huge for a feeder to dragons. my 2 adult hissers are nearly 4 inches long and about 2 inches wide but the little ones are about the size of a cheerio now. I believe they are about a month old. Like I said I probably won't be using them as food unless a huge herp is in my future that can take down one of these big boys. But they are a cool addition to our family of exotics. They are rather docile and seem to not be annoyed by being held. Be aware though ht they have a grip and can climb any surface.

Ryan Maguire

Sub-Adult Member
Cute.

I would set up a second tank if I were you if you want to separate them from the adults and maybe breed the babies! I love hissers -- awesome roach species..

Ryan

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
Doonagoowin":f4244 said:
Are the hissers pretty much like Dubias? So it's safe to use them as feeders? I've been researching around, but can't seem to find them for dragons, just tarantulas.

Usually hissers are reserved for larger lizards such as Monitors, Tegu's ect. Hissers get quite big and bulky. Carnivorous insects such as Centipedes & Tarantula's (like you said), all can take them down as well. Most species of roach nymphs are very similar so I don't see why you couldn't feed the nymphs to a variety of lizards big and small as long as you gauge them right. Honestly Hissers are more a novelty than a feeder. They actually make really cool "pets". Kids really seem to dig them too. If you haven't ever held one before and get a chance do it! It's amazing how strong they are.

-Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom