Needing To Befriend an Experienced Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rukii

Juvie Member
I'm not an expert, per se, but I am a momma to 2 adult and 2 baby dragons, and I studied my butt off about these guys. I'll try to answer any questions you have :)

joelolly

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I was trying to remember who my go to lady was...How have you been Barb? My baby is a year old!!! I didnt realize they grew so fast lol. We built him a viv off of the crossfire enclosure plans and he loves it. I'll post my question here so others could maybe get some help. I'm still struggling with the handling issue, like what to do while handling and how often lol. He has calmed down tremendously and lets me hold him alot more these days. Here is my question... I have had mine for about 10 months. He is about a year old. I get confused on fourms because there are so many contradicting posts about feeding amounts. I usually feed Onyxia about 15 crickets twice a day and three super worms once a day along with mustard or turnip greens. I only feed crickets when my Dubia Roach colony is slow. Am I doing ok on this or should I still be letting him eat as many feeders as he can in 10 min? Also, how often do you handle your babies?(How long during each handling and what do you do with them while handling them?). Im sure this is repetitive(sp) stuff, but some stuff on here is hard to distinguish. Thanks guys.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
At a year old you probably have a bit of freedom when it comes to feeding. How big is he? He'll probably be fine on what you're doing. With my girl, at 9 months old, I just drop in Discoids one at a time until she stops looking up at me for more. Then she'll usually go shove her face into her salad dish.

I handle mine all the time, basically whenever I'm not doing anything important and I'm in my room (assuming she's already pooped that day) she's with me. As far as what I do with her... generally I just let her do what she wants. Sometimes she'll just sit on me when I'm watching TV, other times she'll explore my room and clean out the cobwebs from under my dresser (she's so funny when she pops back out from running around with those all over her spikes lol).

The reason you hear so much contradictory stuff is because Bearded Dragons can handle a very wide range of interaction. If you want to be an extremely hands on owner then you can, if you want a pet you can feed and clean up after and just stare at once in a while (like a fish or something...) then you can do that too, as well as anything inbetween.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hi Joe!

I agree your feeding schedule sounds okay to me if your beardie is gaining weight and thriving. If your beardie is showing signs of still being hungry and wanting more then give him more. Being your beardie is reaching a year the salad is important for him to stay healthy so make sure he's getting that before filling up on buggies.

Your speaking about the Mercury Vapor bulbs and at this time they suck. They are having issues with most of the decent brands right now I highly suggest sticking with a Reptisun 10.0 and basking bulb for now. I actually was a diehard MVB user until this February when I switched all my viv's over to the Reptisuns...when it comes to my babies I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Look forward in seeing new pic's of Onyxia.

Almost forgot about the handling...I handle mine quite often. Some days more than others. I normally have one running around roaming and one sitting on my shoulder for the most part of the day. Gotta get 10 beardies their attention...can be difficult...being I have so many. It really depends on the amount of time I have free as to how long they get to stay out. I also like to get everyone outside for a few minutes each day too.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Joe,

I usually hand out salads as they are warming up in the morning. They are usually the hungriest when they first warm up so this I find is the best time to give salad and have it eaten. :lol: Then I usually wait an hour or so and feed bugs so they don't fill up on bugs and not want to eat salad. If you aren't able to be there to give bugs an hour or so after the salad then yes evening would be fine...just make sure he has enough time to bask and digest before lights go out. :wink:

joelolly

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help everybody. Here are some pics of him.
IMAG0130.jpg
IMAG0128.jpg

Sorry they are so big. Didnt know how to size them down :oops:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Onyxia is very handsome! :love10:
He looks rather long...how long is he now?

Thanks for sharing pic's of your handsome guy! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom