Nail trimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver

Hatchling Member
Just wondering about trimming nails.....How often? What tool do you use? Or is it better to let a pro do it? Any pics, videos or links?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I just use regular nail clippers and just do the tips angled backward so they are not squared off. Hold them up to the light and you will be able to see where its safe to cut.

Silver

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How long should the nails be? Anyone got a close up pic of a well-manicured foot? Still new to this...Thane for your patience!

PonchoandDaddy

Hatchling Member
Like someone else said, If you hold the nail at an angle to the light you will be able to see where to cut. The nail from where it comes out of the toe will be the same color until you get to the very tippy tip of the end. Poncho's are black down and when they need to be trimmed there will be a little clear point on the end. The clear part is the ONLY part you trim. It is a VERY VERY small piece. You should have some flour handy, it will help with clotting if you accidently cut too much.

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
I bring her to my local friendly reptile store. They will do it for me. I am a pretty regular customer, but they help anyone who calls or comes in to the place. I just am so afraid I will hurt my baby I can't do it myself. I keep watching them do it and just get too nervous. A couple times they asked if I wanted to try one but I just couldn't. I know it is probably an abnormal fear and I probably could do it, but it is a field trip for her to visit her nail cutting pal. Also, they love her too so I get to share her with their truly caring, dedicated staff who love all things reptile.

KristenT

Juvie Member
I've never even though about this for Taz! I regularly trim my guinea pig's nails though. And, I was terrified of it at first too. Scared I'd cut too close or hurt them, but the first time is horrable mentally... and then it's like, "Oh, that was kinda easy..." and then it's fine after that. Totally understand you being freaked out by it though!

nubie alert,

I understand the idea of nail trimming but if you provide a rough surface (slate tile for example) will they wear down the nails so there is no need of trimming? I too am leery of doing this myself so I was thinking on an alternative.

thebenior

Hatchling Member
I don't think having slate tile really wore my dragon's claws down, though perhaps if I had more square footage (vivarium floor is 36"x18"), they'd have gotten more wear.

I use regular finger nail clippers. Like PonchoandDaddy said, just trim the very tip of the clear part. I picked up some styptic powder from my local pet store just in case I cut too deep, but have had the fortune to not use it yet.

KristenT

Juvie Member
I inspected Taz's claws very closely, and he doesn't have a clear tip. He's got the dark vein that runs all the way down. I have slate rock and tile in his cage though, and I'm thinking that has wore them down. Maybe it depends on the dragon? Or maybe the age too... Taz is only 8 months old.

Wetbee

I noticed CC in the bath tub has her toes bent to the side and its cuz her nails are too long..time for me to venture forth, will try to do when she is basking on a pillow on the back of the couch looking out the window.. have done cats for years, so not fearful just have to see how they handle it..CC is most mellow will try her first..then Leno, and then Klaus.
kris

I also do not see any clear part just a dark line running along. Does anyone have a photo of the nail bed marked so I could see what the trimming area is and is not?

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Those could do with a little clip - they'll be very sharp :)
I park my dragons on a smooth cushion in the window and take a pair of ordinary sharp nail clippers to them. Try to do it on a bright day so you can see the nail core - a fleshy bit with a nerve and pink blood vessel in - you don't want to catch that because it hurts!
I usually angle my clippers underneath and towards the front to remove the black bit of the nail - as you get into the habit of clipping, the fleshy bit will recede a bit and the white grows longer - you can then remove some of the white, but be careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom