Nail clipping

Mr.Dragon

Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
So Mr. Dragon is almost 4 months old now, about 11in and 65gs (growing up so fast 🥹) Though his claws are still small they're starting to get sharp. Leaving red scratches all over my arms and shoulders hah. Is he too young to start trimming his nail? What's the best type of clippers to use? The regular curved pet clippers, or the one with the little round hole? And what's the best way to clip nails? What's too short? Do I file them also? Ah okay, thank you!
-Mr. Dragon

Attachments

• 20230730_084944.jpg
    20230730_084944.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20230730_084902.jpg
    20230730_084902.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230730_084851.jpg
    20230730_084851.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230730_084847.jpg
    20230730_084847.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 54

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So Mr. Dragon is almost 4 months old now, about 11in and 65gs (growing up so fast 🥹) Though his claws are still small they're starting to get sharp. Leaving red scratches all over my arms and shoulders hah. Is he too young to start trimming his nail? What's the best type of clippers to use? The regular curved pet clippers, or the one with the little round hole? And what's the best way to clip nails? What's too short? Do I file them also? Ah okay, thank you!
-Mr. Dragon
Top 5 Best Bearded Dragon Nail Clippers of 2023
You can get a piece of ceramic tile to put in the tank something w/ texture nothing real coarse or too smooth to keep the nails down --- go to your local home improvement store and run your hand over the tile too coarse will give abrasions you dont want that and too smooth he will slip on it ---

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Top 5 Best Bearded Dragon Nail Clippers of 2023
You can get a piece of ceramic tile to put in the tank something w/ texture nothing real coarse or too smooth to keep the nails down --- go to your local home improvement store and run your hand over the tile too coarse will give abrasions you dont want that and too smooth he will slip on it ---
Exact information I was looking for, thank you!! I'm on my way to buy more crickets so I'll stop and check out some tile next door to the pet store.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Natural stone works well also. My favorite is sandstone, but basalt, granite, slate, limestone ect all work also. Just make sure there's no sharp edges.
As far as clipping, if you look REALLY REALLY close you'll see a very small very sharp tip, that is ALL you need to trim, any farther back than that and you run the risk of hurting you beardie.

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Natural stone works well also. My favorite is sandstone, but basalt, granite, slate, limestone ect all work also. Just make sure there's no sharp edges.
As far as clipping, if you look REALLY REALLY close you'll see a very small very sharp tip, that is ALL you need to trim, any farther back than that and you run the risk of hurting you beardie.
Okay yeah I bought a piece of outdoor step stone. Its not too rough, or the edges too sharp. So hopefully that helps. I dont know what kind of stone it is but its close to like a concrete slab feeling. About a square foot, I figured I could just stick it in his tank and when he runs around he'll get some filing done on his own?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay yeah I bought a piece of outdoor step stone. Its not too rough, or the edges too sharp. So hopefully that helps. I dont know what kind of stone it is but its close to like a concrete slab feeling. About a square foot, I figured I could just stick it in his tank and when he runs around he'll get some filing done on his own?
Yes he should - I have 2 long pieces running width wise and one of my caves sits on it and he sleeps in it and will go in and scratch to make it comfy so when he's doing that he filing his nails

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Yes he should - I have 2 long pieces running width wise and one of my caves sits on it and he sleeps in it and will go in and scratch to make it comfy so when he's doing that he filing his nails
Perfect, Thank you! I think ill still buy some clippers as a back up. I like him to have everything and anything he needs.

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
So I was about to put this tile in the tank, but I thought.. This tile is pretty heavy, like probably 5lbs. It wont break the glass, right? I didnt think so but then my significant other said they think it would. What do you think? Is this something you can answer?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So I was about to put this tile in the tank, but I thought.. This tile is pretty heavy, like probably 5lbs. It wont break the glass, right? I didnt think so but then my significant other said they think it would. What do you think? Is this something you can answer?
I would go w/ a lighter ceramic tile --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can cut a piece of cardboard the same size to set it on maybe. Be gentle setting it in.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom