My Chili Boy!

Charlie97

Beardie name(s)
Chili
Getting darker red as he gets older! Just passed 3 months and finished his first shed since I brought him home

(The worm containers under his enclosure are all empty and just need to be thrown out)

Attachments

• IMG_7012.jpeg
    IMG_7012.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7011.jpeg
    IMG_7011.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7007.jpeg
    IMG_7007.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7002.jpeg
    IMG_7002.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7006.jpeg
    IMG_7006.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7004.jpeg
    IMG_7004.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6922.jpeg
    IMG_6922.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 38

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Such a pretty dragon :) Chili is a great name for such a red dragon.

I see you already started leash-training. How is he accepting it?
(My harnish-and-leash set also comes with attachable wings. Funny for a photo.)

Charlie97

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chili
Such a pretty dragon :) Chili is a great name for such a red dragon.

I see you already started leash-training. How is he accepting it?
(My harnish-and-leash set also comes with attachable wings. Funny for a photo.)
He slipped out of it a few minutes after taking those, still a little too small 😆

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Was the same with my Taco. He'll grow into it, literally :D
But I also tried it early to just make him familiar with it. Just put it on his back without closing it, and then after a while I closed the harness. Was still too big, it literally fell of from his body :D but now it fits.

IAmAMirage

Beardie name(s)
Mirage
How would you all reccomend training an older dragon with the harness? My boy is around 5 (we think). I'd love to be able to take him outside, but don't know if that is something I'm able to do since his previous owner never exposed him to a harness or being outside as a baby.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
What I did was just "gradually introducing it", as also recommended for other animals:
(Step 0: I made my dragon comfortable with being touched everywhere I would have to touch him when putting a harness on, and where the harness would be. So, dragon has no problem with touching his back, reaching under his belly and such.)
Step 1: I put the harness next to him and I touch it, play with it.
Step 2: I touch him with the harness.
Step 3: Harness is just put on his back (not wrapped around, not closed, it just lies there).
Step 4: Harness is put on, leash attached.
Each step only when he's absolutely relaxed with the previous one.
There are various kinds of harnesses; I have the one from Nectarlee that has a faux leather thing on the back and straps going around the belly. This way I don't have to pull it over my dragon's head.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
What I did was just "gradually introducing it", as also recommended for other animals:
(Step 0: I made my dragon comfortable with being touched everywhere I would have to touch him when putting a harness on, and where the harness would be. So, dragon has no problem with touching his back, reaching under his belly and such.)
Step 1: I put the harness next to him and I touch it, play with it.
Step 2: I touch him with the harness.
Step 3: Harness is just put on his back (not wrapped around, not closed, it just lies there).
Step 4: Harness is put on, leash attached.
Each step only when he's absolutely relaxed with the previous one.
There are various kinds of harnesses; I have the one from Nectarlee that has a faux leather thing on the back and straps going around the belly. This way I don't have to pull it over my dragon's head.
Also in addition to this you obviously want to make sure he feels safe in a closed room (and with the harness on) before taking him outside.
He probably won't like going outside at first and you don't want him to connect the harness with a negative experience.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Absolutely! Generally, I followed the rules for leash-training a dog :D where one also starts with the harness indoors. First for the reason you mentioned, and then for the reason of making sure it really holds securely. Getting a harness securely around the typical beardie body shape (widest part is in the middle, can flatten or puff up, short strong legs...) IMHO is always a bit more cumbersome than with a typical mammal's body shape.

What also helped: For putting on the harness, let the dragon sit on a flat, hard surface where the claws can't dig in. I simply put him on a table (or his branch he has now in the room), so I can lift his legs easily when putting on the harness. Having him sitting on fabric, i.e. on me on my clothes, it's much more difficult.

IAmAMirage

Beardie name(s)
Mirage
Thank you guys for your feedback! So far I've taken him outside twice, and he did well. We brought out some of his rocks and hides and put a baby play pen around him. He seemed to like it, even though he was only out there for about 5 minutes each time.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom