Why doesn’t my beardie like basking?

My beardie is about 7 months old. I have all the appropriate lighting and set up in my tank. I have already connected with several people on this site who have helped me with the set up. But my beardie doesn’t like to bask in his tank For too long. Recently I added flagstone to his enclosure. He didn’t mind that at all, but I did have a tree in there that he use to like climbing on when I first brought him home. He stopped using it about 2 months ago he was getting bigger so it was really close to the lighting probably 6 to 8 inches and he had fallen in love with his hammock so he wasn’t using it. Two days ago I took it out finally and gave him a log I bought. I would think they would bask all day, but does anyone know how long they will typically bask throughout the day? I wanted to change his hammock to the basking side but he is angry that I did that. Does anyone have any suggestion?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardie is about 7 months old. I have all the appropriate lighting and set up in my tank. I have already connected with several people on this site who have helped me with the set up. But my beardie doesn’t like to bask in his tank For too long. Recently I added flagstone to his enclosure. He didn’t mind that at all, but I did have a tree in there that he use to like climbing on when I first brought him home. He stopped using it about 2 months ago he was getting bigger so it was really close to the lighting probably 6 to 8 inches and he had fallen in love with his hammock so he wasn’t using it. Two days ago I took it out finally and gave him a log I bought. I would think they would bask all day, but does anyone know how long they will typically bask throughout the day? I wanted to change his hammock to the basking side but he is angry that I did that. Does anyone have any suggestion?
Dragons dont like change-- put the hammock on the basking side - he needs to bask -- dragons know what they need and when they need it -- mine are all over the tank -- I just let them do their thing -- but he does need to bask -- how often does he poop? The basking is what starts their digestion process

ScooterRenee2022

Original Poster
Dragons dont like change-- put the hammock on the basking side - he needs to bask -- dragons know what they need and when they need it -- mine are all over the tank -- I just let them do their thing -- but he does need to bask -- how often does he poop? The basking is what starts their digestion process
He poops at least one time a day. He may poop a little spot after that but at least once a day. He really does not like change. But I did change the hammock and now he wants to be on his cave in the cooler side. Why is he giving me such a hard time. It is funny because when he wakes up in the morning he gets right down and goes into his basking area eats his veggies and then poops. It is almost like he has built a routine. How do I break his routine or should I just let him be him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He poops at least one time a day. He may poop a little spot after that but at least once a day. He really does not like change. But I did change the hammock and now he wants to be on his cave in the cooler side. Why is he giving me such a hard time. It is funny because when he wakes up in the morning he gets right down and goes into his basking area eats his veggies and then poops. It is almost like he has built a routine. How do I break his routine or should I just let him be him?
Leave him be -- he knows what hes doing--

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
And don't forget to keep an eye on the ambient temps as well. Some times we can get so hung up with getting the basking spot dialed in that we forget about the air temperatures.

Might also be the time of the year though. My boy just startet (really) basking about two weeks ago and did bask a little less when he was about 9 months or so as well.

As suggested, he needs to bask for digestion so if he is eating and his poop is fine, he is probably good.

ScooterRenee2022

Original Poster
I switched the hammock three days ago and now he sits in it until I move him to his cooler side. How long should he be basking because now I am concerned again. How long should I allow him to bask? He really confuses me. He does not act like a typical bearded dragon from what I read. He loves his time out of the tank everyday but he can’t make up his mind. It’s almost he wants me to switch him from the cooler side or basking side. Can someone please tell me how to handle this?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I switched the hammock three days ago and now he sits in it until I move him to his cooler side. How long should he be basking because now I am concerned again. How long should I allow him to bask? He really confuses me. He does not act like a typical bearded dragon from what I read. He loves his time out of the tank everyday but he can’t make up his mind. It’s almost he wants me to switch him from the cooler side or basking side. Can someone please tell me how to handle this?
Let him do his thing- dragons know what they need

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom