my beardies stomach is injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
:( pancakes stomach is really soft and damp and it tore a little bit. Her stomach seems soggy and she has some sores and its bleeding a little and we have no money for the vet :( . Please I need help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that sounds pretty serious ! How long has it been this way ? I hope someone can help poor Pancake. Can you post a picture ? It may be yellow fungus....does it look like the scales have a melted look ? Y.F. is very serious + needs vet attention. For now, keep her on paper towels , definitely no loose substrate. Also it's helpful if you list everything about the set up, including type + brand of lights. Someone else may chime in ....I hope she can be helped !

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
:( her cage has artificial sand made from finely ground walnut shell. She recently lost her heat lamp. She has no uvb. And yes her belly scales look melted but we have no money for vet.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am afraid to look at the pictures. I'm sorry. I can advise that you remove the walnut shell and replace it with paper towels or newspaper. Can you find a rescue in your area that would take her? It most certainly sounds like she needs a vet. I would locate a rescue as soon as possible.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I'm sorry, dear, but yes. I'll take a look at the pictures, I guess, but yellow fungus as developed as it sounds cannot be cured without a vet. She also needs the proper light bulbs.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I cannot verify yellow fungus. If her skin is that thin and it is tearing, though, that is certainly not normal. Maybe someone will be along that can advise you more accurately.

How long has she been without proper lighting?

I would begin to research rescue organizations while you wait for others' comments.

I'm so sorry this is happening to your dragon and you.

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This happened after she shed her skin on her belly. Her uvb was gon for1-2 months and her heat lamp was gon for a day.
I really don't want to get rid of her cause I really love my beardie very much but if that's the only way then I guess I will have to.
I still need to know why this happened and how to stop it

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am guessing the lack of UVB has something to do with it. What kind of bulb was it, how old, and what shape? Has she has any supplements to her food? What has she been eating, how much and how often? There are so many things that could have caused this to happen.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
The most a beardie can safely go without proper UVB is two weeks and anything longer than that is pushing it.

I know nothing of yellow fungus.

Walnut shell substrate is very very bad - ever my local Petco doesn't recommend it.

As for the baby, I know it's tough, but if you cannot afford the vet bill, then it might be best to give her to a rescue. It's not fair for her to suffer in pain if there is something that could be done about it. I'm sorry for being so blunt and please don't be offended.

Would your vet be willing to do monthly payments of something? A friend or family member loan you the money?

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She eats crickets waxworms superworms mealworms freeze dried crickets freezedried grasshoppers freezedried mealworms blueberrys strawberrys razzberrys romane lettuce brocolie peaches and I fed her her first pinkie but the worker at petco told me to cut the head off of the pinkie and feed the body. I don't feed her all of this at once. Usually every day she would get a small portion of freeze dried medely and some fruits and or vegies plus 3-4 worms aka either mealeorms waxworms or superworms.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
How big is she?

Waxworms should not be treated as a staple but as a treat once every/every other week.
Mealworms are bad freeze dried or not and anything freeze dried should not be bothered with.
Fruit should be offered once a week at most as a treat.
Romaine lettuice and broccoli are no good.
Pinkies should never be fed. That's probably what did the damage. Pinkies are not a staple in the wild and beardies have a hard time digesting the fur and the bones.
Superworms should only be fed is the beardie is 16"+

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
The substrate might be causing this, as walnut shells are very sharp and painful to them, but the lack of proper lighting and proper diet is not helping her health.

I unfortunately agree with everyone else-it may be best to give her to a rescue as well.

It doesn't look like Yellow Fungus from what I know of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom