Wound on Beardie's Belly

Lexshae

Beardie name(s)
Gil
Hi everyone, I have a Bearded dragon that's about 8 or 9 years old. Today when I gave him his bath I noticed a bit of blood in the water streaming from underneath him. At first I thought he was just pooping or something, but when I lifted him up to look there was like an open bump on his belly that was bleeding. It really freeked me out. The only thing I can think of is maybe it's an abscess or cyst? I never noticed anything wrong with his stomach before tonight. I have him on a towel in his cage right now. It's past midnight here so the vet is closed and I'm super worried. Is there anything I can do for him until I can get him to a vet? Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry this has happened! It always seems to happen when the holidays roll around.
Do you have any raw, unpasteurized honey you could try putting on it, silver gel, or
antibiotic ointment?
Do you have anything sharp in his tank that could have hurt him? Do you use any type
of heating element like a rock or undertank heater which might have malfunctioned &
gotten too hot?

Tracie

Lexshae

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gil
Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it. I just put some silver gel on it. There's nothing in his cage that I can see that could have hurt him. And we don't use any other heating elements except for lamps. I'll post a picture of what the wound looks like.

Lexshae

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gil
So this is after the blood dried. It just feels like a weird bump. I just don't know how I didn't notice it before.

Attachments

• 20221228_002619.jpg
    20221228_002619.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 73

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's some type of growth, like a cyst or abscess. Try to get him in to have a vet look at, hopefully it will be something that can be treated without too much trouble.

Dinky26

Beardie name(s)
Mango
I’d just like to confirm what was said earlier and yes you need to get him in to see the Vet. Hopefully they can get it taken care of easily.

Dinky26

Beardie name(s)
Mango
You might want to consider getting rid of the reptile carpet. It can harbor so many bacteria, with the sore on the stomach it could be a real problem.

Dinky26

Beardie name(s)
Mango
You might want to consider getting rid of the reptile carpet. It can harbor so many bacteria, with the sore on the stomach it could be a real problem.
Not to mention the possibility of a claw getting caught in the carpet and then losing said nail.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom