mvb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
BubbasDaddy":469be said:
If you put a screen between your MVB and your basking spot it will lower the UVB output. Go to http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm it explains this in great detail. Scroll down and click on "mercury vapour lamps" on the left. Then scroll to the bottom and click on "The use of wire mesh guards and screen with mercury vapour lamps". You should also look at "The use of dome reflectors with mercury vapour lamps".

I'm well aware of that, and most of the users here are, too. The screens can filter out up to 24% of the UVB, but with the output of a MegaRay, there is no reason to be concerned. Also, I don't think many of the people here actually expect their light fixtures to really reflect any UVB rays. Most of us that use MVB's use a deep-dome fixture for safety. If I was to have a different fixture that allowed the light bulb to protrude from the bottom, then my eyes would be exposed to the light every day, too. The MVB's specifically state not to keep in direct contact with humans. So, the deep-dome enclosures many of us choose to use are a matter of safety with the bulb covered all the way around in addition to the ceramic sockets. Also, according to that particular study, the fixtures that don't allow the bulb to protrude from the bottom actually help to contain the light in a tighter beam.
Either way, the MegaRay's UVB output far exceeds that of any florescent bulb on the market, so even if UP TO 25% is filtered, it is still the best thing for a reptile. IMO, of course...
But, thank you for your concern :wink:

mas4nep

Original Poster
I got mine set up negativecreep and like yours I set mine about 14 1/2" from his basking area and I don't use the screen on top because it cut down on my temps alot, right now I only get between 100-103 degrees. The deep dome and the stand was the complete package. This mvb has been working awesome his appetite and color has picked up tremendously.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
mas4nep":3162e said:
I got mine set up negativecreep and like yours I set mine about 14 1/2" from his basking area and I don't use the screen on top because it cut down on my temps alot, right now I only get between 100-103 degrees. The deep dome and the stand was the complete package. This mvb has been working awesome his appetite and color has picked up tremendously.

Isn't it amazing? My little girl's stress marks are even gone (for the most part!). I saw the first all-white belly the other day! I was so excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom