mouth rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigg

Juvie Member
This was the best explanation I could come across from one of our own members...

"Mouth rot or otherwise called stomatitis is basically caused by an absess in the mouth from an injury to the mouth, gums, or both. It is also caused by improper temperatures as well, which will depress the immune system. If they are kept at improper temps they cannot digest their foods very well & can also develop GI distress. GI infections can manifest into mouth rot as well or a mouth infection. Those are all secondary problems. Mouth rot will look like a pus pocket or some describe it as cottage cheese like looking substance in the mouth.
Other problems like toe rot or tail rot or necrosis can be caused by tail nips, toe nips, injuries to that area, or retained shed. If the circulation is cut off to those extremities they can lose them. If they suffer from a tail or toe nip, they can become infected & lose them.
Problems such as these normally need to be treated with an antibiotic.
I hope this helps out some. Let me know if you need more information.

Tracie"

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Feeding them through a syringe wont directly cause mouth rot. However, if the mouth is damaged during this time, & an injury occurs that is not treated, yes, they can get a mouth infection that could lead to mouth rot at a later time.

Tracie

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
"Mouth rot", infectious stomatis, is a general term for bacterial infections in a reptile's mouth or gums. I guess Tigg already said that; I'm just proud I actually know what it is! (via the April issue of Reptiles magazine) :D

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
:laughhard:
It is a very good magazine, actually. It has a species spotlight with care and everything, and lots of other interesting articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom