Molds on my Laterallis breeding tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
A friend of mine told me just to let them be, I am still growing the colony, havent fed any of my dragons yet with lats. What should I do with the molds?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
If I'm correct the mold will kill your roaches or knock them down considerably. You need to get rid of the mold. Once you do you need to either not put so much moisture in at a time or change it out more regularly. An if you are misting stop.

patrickb

Juvie Member
Barbara is correct. You need to get rid of the mold, as it will wipe your colony if allowed to continue. If the mold is isolated to one spot, you could just clean that one spot, but I highly recommend that you remove everything and clean the container good with a 10% bleach solution. Put in fresh eggcrates or whatever you use for furniture and fresh food and moisture. As she said, if you are misting, don't do it. Also, make sure you have good ventilation when the lid is on. Lack of ventilation will raise the humidity quite high and creates ideal conditions for mold to grow.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
unless you are talking about molts the shed extoskeleton. those are harmless to an extent I believe the babies will feed on them a bit and the frass(poop) provides nutrients to the little ones to jumpstart their system. but if it is mold then clean it right away and reduce the humidity as previously stated.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Original Poster
My problem is in our area here, the Philippines, it is always HUMID :-( The mold gets there because of the cocopeat bedding. If I Dont put this bedding on, the eggs just wont hatch and you would see a lot of them deteriorate, as soon as I placed the bedding, they were now hatching. Any Ideas?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Well I understand about how humid it is in the Philippines. I have friends from there.

Are you also using egg crates?
I don't use any substrate only egg crates and paper towel rolls for them to hide in they usually
just lay their eggs in the egg crates. Or just about anywhere actually.

patrickb

Juvie Member
Well, the oothecae do take about a month to hatch once layed, so it is possible the timing of you adding the bedding was in sync with when they were ready to hatch. Some will dessicate (dry up) and not hatch, but they lay so many it doesn't matter. I only use eggcrates and no substrate like Barbara and have no issues with them reproducing. Just give it a try without the bedding for a while and have a little patience. You should see babies.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Aite, I will try once more to observe it for a month. I will take out the cocopeat and just leave the plastic bottom as their flooring. Thanks Guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom