Dubias breeding slow in colony. Trying an experiment.

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Alex
I keep my colony a bit above room temp. I have a heater underneath but it's basically just wasted electricity. So I figured why not just use a warmer area of the house to get it up to breeding temps. So I started a breeding colony. Male and five females with 6 egg carton holes to choose from lol I have them in a thick glass vase in the back of the hot side corner. No lid, I figure a predator outside and food inside will keep them in.

We'll see how it goes. 3 of the females have a little growing to do.
PXL_20240103_030957652.jpg
PXL_20240103_031014300.jpg

As the babies become independent, I'll just add them back into the main colony.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
This should an interesting thread to follow. My bet is you have a beardie with a full belly faster than they can breed lmao 🤣 🤣 🤣.
If it works though, it'll be pretty rad. 👍

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
This should an interesting thread to follow. My bet is you have a beardie with a full belly faster than they can breed lmao 🤣 🤣 🤣.
If it works though, it'll be pretty rad. 👍
If they grow that fast lol

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Cool experiment. The Dubias for me breed like crazy but they are only active at night even though their container is dark all day. Curious to see what yours do with that much lighting...

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
It's actually more shaded than I thought. I might put a piece of cardboard or something on top to block a bit more. But it's not bad as is.

PXL_20240103_202102879.jpg

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Made a bit of a change to the setup. Moved them into a blueberry container. Latching lid, ventilated top sides and bottom. Much easier to hide under stuff too :) One female was carrying. Gave them some cherries and blackberries to munch on.

BPSabelhaus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
It was working well, but I have the entire colony safely heated now.

Aquarium under glass heater with a metal pan to further distribute the heat. Before the plastic would get soft and I had humid spots. Now it's all happy.
PXL_20240212_184858633.jpg

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom