mealworms and baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Mealworms are no good for any age dragon. They have hard to digest shells and not much meat. Superworms are ok, but not for under 15". With a baby, you're going to want crickets, and tons of them. You should let them eat as much as they want 3x a day for 15 minutes, and that can add up to nearly a hundred crickets every day (Yes, I know he's small and it seems impossible, but trust me, it's very possible, I watch mine do it every day and she's only as big as a 6 month old should be).

slyk

Original Poster
the crickets scurry and hide so how do i feed them to him? with tongs or do i let him chase them? he also wont eat his greens?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I (and most others here) feed in a separate, bare tank or rubbermaid tote. He will chase them if he's interested, don't get in the habit of bringing his food to him with tongs or by hand because they quickly get lazy and learn to expect it and won't hunt on their own.

It's completely normal for babies not to eat their veggies, just make sure to keep offering them every day in small portions until he comes around. Try a variaty too, Dora won't eat her greens unless I have grated squash over them or blackberries.

slyk

Original Poster
he hasnt pooped or so it seems? i also tried putting him in a rubbermaid tote with crickets? he was uninterested and he hasnt eaten all day? i hope i didnt hurt him by givin him meal worms? what about bathing? how often? he seems alert and movin around fine! i have a heat lamp and uv lamp also?

neecie

Juvie Member
A warm bath (I put a rubbermaid dishpan in the kitchen sink) will help him poop. Take him out when he does.
It's recommended to let him be in the warm water for about 15 minutes a few times a week. He'll absorb water in his vent (next to the poop zone). Sometimes I have 2 dishpans, one in each section of the sink. When he poops, I scoop him out and put him in the other to get more time in water. Too difficult to remove the poop and I don't want him in that water after anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom