laybox????

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
A lay box has nothing to do with eggs being healthy. The question doesn't really make sense. A laybox is a merely tool that stimulates the natural behavior a female dragon exhibits while laying her eggs. Many dragons will retain eggs or not lay them if she is not provided a safe and comfortable place to dig and lay. I've seen eggs laid in hot cages, but they were dry and dimpled, the dry heat will kill them quickly. A lay bin is more suitable because it has stable temps and moist substrate, similar to what they would find in nature. Its a mothers instinct to dig a tunnel and bury her eggs to protect them from predators, then the perfect combination of warmth and moisture from the earth is necessary to incubate them. We provide these things artificially because its what works best. On the other hand, an incubator and moist substrate is very necessary for the eggs to stay healthy, as long as they are healthy to start with, from a healthy dragon who laid them.

jstouts

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok, well my friend's female has laid a few times and hasn't had a lay box. they have all died. they were laid in a hot cage. so how much better is a lay box than a hot cage?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Hmmm, I would definitely have to say 100 % better than a hot cage. If they dry up a little, like after only 10 or 15 minutes, they can be put in moist vermiculite or hatch rite and absorb water to plump back up. If they are in there an hour, I wouldn't give them more than a 10% chance. Even a shoe box or kitty litter pan full of moist sand in the cage would be okay for a little while. This way they are potected and surrounded by moisture. It is very important that the eggs stay moist and do not dry out, through out the entire incubation period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom