Jace, Zy, Sorin, Ava, Nissa, Koth, & Phoenix -->Vet Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
My name is Liz and I have been a member of this website for a year now. I have had another blog about my reptilian babies (http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=185026), but am starting a new one. I want to start the new year with a clean slate - especially since it will also start with a new moon. I want to move on from the problems of the past and look forward to the new adventures that lie ahead.
A little about me: I'm twenty-two years old and am an author - (A Shadow's Lullaby by: E. Rexer). I go to Western New England as a Creative Writing major with a minor in Philosophy. I own six reptiles, three bearded dragons and three leopard geckos. I have been with my boyfriend, Paul, for four years. I currently work two jobs - Heritage Woods (assistant living) and Table and Vine (liquor store) though I did try to quit Heritage Woods and was guilt tripped into working there per diem (once a month). I will be putting in my two weeks notice with them in February. Unfortunately it is a sad job and emotionally I cannot handle it anymore. Table and Vine doesn't give me the hours I would like, but I worked out a deal with my grandfather that will help me out financially. Now enough about me.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
So good to hear from you, Liz. The change in Phoenix is like night and day. Happy birthday to him, and kudos to you for your dedication to your babies. XOX

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
So during May and June Paul and I discovered that something was wrong with Sorin. I had taken him out to run around which he loves to do, but nothing. He didn't even try. After checking his legs, we noticed that his back left felt limp, almost dispatched. We made an emergency appointment with our vet, Dr. Kenna. While there, it was discovered that he had septic arthritis. Septic arthritis is not because of age, since Sorin wasn't even a year old at the time. It's injury related. So she gave us some antibiotic shots to give him once every three days for a month. If it continued to spread, she said it would have to be amputated. They worked, at first. A couple days after his leg healed, the left front and then eventually the right front became infected. Eventually, after a third round of shots, all of his legs were healed and life was back to normal. At least, for a month or so, it was all right.

Then today happened. It's his back left again. He's trying to use it. When he moves he waves it high in the air. He's been sitting with me for over half an hour now, not trying to climb or run like he once used to. The vet it supposed to call me back, but I honestly don't know what to do. An amputation would cost over $1k and there is no guarantee since all but his right hind leg have had the septic arthritis. I don't want him spending the rest of his life on shots either. I just don't know what to do. I have no money and my grandparents said that if it continued, that I'd have to put him down... I just don't know anymore.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
God, Liz, I'm so sorry to hear that, guess you'll need to talk to the vet & figure out what can be done for him. Wonder why it keeps coming back? Poor Sorin, I thought he was completely healed, too. Keep me posted and best of luck...lots of healing thoughts and prayers for Sorin and you guys. I'm so sorry you're having to come up with this type of decision.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks, Deb.

So the vet just called me back. She is going to look into other options for Sorin because she doesn't want to keep putting him through this if it is just going to keep coming back and I agree, it isn't fair to him. I want everyone to know that I do want what's best for him. I don't want him to continue a life of pain, a life where he cannot run. An amputation of the leg would cost close to $2k and even if I sold everything, reptiles and all (not that I would) it probably wouldn't be enough. I just want what's best for him.

My grandparents said they would only help financially if it was to put him down because they don't want to see him suffer either. Plus, that is a lot of money - a lot of money that my grandparents don't have left. All my friends are finically strapped so... I just don't know what to do.

I love you Sorin.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I know it's a very difficult decision but you have to do what's best for Sorin. I know you will do what's best for him. It's not his fault or yours what's happened and your vet will discuss all options with you. I keep hearing about this, Jenn's beardie Scully was lucky in that having her arm amputated stopped the infection. Jolene's Thresh is going through something the same & is back at the vet. I've been lucky that I haven't had to deal with that, just other problems. I so wish this hadn't happened to him, please keep me posted. Sending tons of cyber hugs to you, Paul and Sorin (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am so very sorry that this is happening, dear heart. :( I am supporting you in thought and prayer.
I know you don't know what to do right now, but the answer will come. Listen to your heart, and know that you have our support 1,000% whatever happens.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I have followed some on your thread, but have not posted yet.
I am so sorry poor little Sorin has had so much trouble. Is he positive for adeno or have you tested him for it?
What antibiotics have they put him on for shots?

Tracie

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Deb:
Thank you for your support. I know that though you haven't had this problem with any of your babies, you had to work your way through their own and you know what I'm going through. Chastity did offer that I mail Sorin down south to her friend where it would be cheaper to amputate (still has to talk with her friend), but Paul and I aren't comfortable with the idea and the amount of stress that would put him through. Especially after such a huge operation. Plus the postal system, UPS, and FedEx all make me nervous. I don't trust them with my baby. It's too scary thinking they might through the box around, that he wakes up in the box, etc. I feel like it would just be too much for all of us. Never mind the cost of two shipments and operation.

Esther:
Thank you for your love and support during this difficult.

Tracy:
Will get back to you.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Tracie:
We had an x-ray done, which showed the signs of septic arthritis. Dr. Kenna only said antibiotics. She might have mentioned the name in passing, but I don't remember. Sorry I can't be of more help. Thank you for your worry and concern for Sorin.

hoopyscoop

Juvie Member
Oh no! Poor Sorin, and poor you, I’m sorry. :( I don’t exactly know what to say exactly... I’ve never gone through this. We are here for you though, whatever happens, and I’m sure everyone else can agree.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You know you have everyone's support no matter what the decision is. And I've been through the decision mill a few times, it's so hard but still, your vet will help you decide. If I had extra $ I'd send you a bunch.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Deb, would it be against bd.org's rules to post a link to my donation site to help Sorin?

The vet got back to me and she wants to run a few tests that total up to $450 and between college, bills, and my part time job is barely giving me any hours to get by normally, never mind with this huge bill.

It's been decided that Liz can post her Go Fund for Sorin, so here's the link: http://www.gofund.com/eex8ec

I hope you raise the funds you need, Liz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom