I gave my beardie 20 small crickets, and a few waxworms..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronni1123

And her stool was literally crickets, and waxworms. It didn't look like it was digested at all?

Can anyone tell me why this is?

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Best way for us to answer your question is... for you to answer ours! Some of these probably don't pertain to your issue, but hey, maybe it will help you fix other things! The most likely reason is the basking temp not being hot enough, or you feeding him too close to light going out. Here are the questions:

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Are you using any heat source overnight?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
How much basking time do you give him after feeding?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

Ronni1123

Original Poster
My beardie is female.
She is about 10" long.
I'm not sure how old, probably around 4-5 months.
I have had her for about 2 months.
I just moved her to a 40gallon terrarium
Yes, she is using UVB. It is fluorescent.
The UVB is an 18" T8 Zilla UVB bulb.
The bulb is 2 months old.
She can get within basking distance. Probably 15" away.
I use an overnight red light heat lamp 100 watts, and a day light uncolored 100watts.
Cool side is about 75-80 degrees, and hot side is 90-100 degrees.
I use a stick on thermometer.
What do you mean where am I taking my basking temps?
I do not use a heating rock because they do not need them.
I feed her once a day. I feed her 30 small crickets a day monday through friday, and on the weekend I give her a mixture of kale, collard greens, carrots, lima beans, green beans, peas, and banana/apple.
I feed her in the morning.
She gets 12 hours a day of basking time.
I do not gutload them because I buy them from the petstore I work at. They are already gut loaded. I know because I'm the one that takes care of them, along with each and every animal.
Yes, she has a daily poop.
I give her a caclium supplement with D3, and a multivitamin.

I'm asking because this is not normal. I know how to care for her. I sell them everyday.. I'm just wondering if maybe I fed her too much at once, or if I should take her out of her viv when I feed her?

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
Basking temps are too low.
You need to get a digital thermometer with probe, the stick on ones are off by atleast 10-15 degrees.
The basking temp needs to be taken directly on the basking spot, not the air around it.
She should be eating as much as he wants atleast 2 times a day for 10-15mins each time.
She should also always have salad available to him.
You should be either using a repti sun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12% UVB bulb.
Do you give her baths every couple days?
Also you said you feed her in the morning... How long after she wakes up? Does she have time to bask and heat up before you feed her?

Ronni1123

Original Poster
Mediabandit":1z44829u said:
Basking temps are too low.
You need to get a digital thermometer with probe, the stick on ones are off by atleast 10-15 degrees.
The basking temp needs to be taken directly on the basking spot, not the air around it.
She should be eating as much as he wants atleast 2 times a day for 10-15mins each time.
She should also always have salad available to him.
You should be either using a repti sun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12% UVB bulb.
Do you give her baths every couple days?
Also you said you feed her in the morning... How long after she wakes up? Does she have time to bask and heat up before you feed her?

I have had others on here tell me to only provide a salad twice a week and bathe twice a week.
I offer a multivitamin twice a week.
I bought the zilla uvb light fixture as a recommendation from a professional. What's wrong with it?

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
The uvb should be either a reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE or the arcadia + d3 12% TUBE. These are the only 2 bulbs recommended for bearded dragons, unless you go with an mvb bulb.
With the reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE they need to be able to get within 6-8 inches away from it to absorb the uvb, it should also be mounted in the tank as the screen can block out 30-50% or more of the uvb rays.
Those stick on theremometers can be up to 20 degrees off you should get either a digital probe or a temp gun for more accurate readings.
The basking temp should be around 105 degrees.
You shouldn't use a red night light as beardies need complete darkness to sleep, unless your tank get under 65 degrees at night you don't need anything, if it gets lower than 65 degrees at night you could use a ceramic heat emitter.
You need to take the temperature of the actual basking spot, like the log or the rock or whatever you guy lays on to bask, not just the air temp.
Feeding they should be offered a salad all day everyday, and live food 2-3 times a day as much as they can eat in 10-15 mins. Here is the link for the nutrional chart http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
The dusting schedule should be calcium one feeding a day 5 days a week, vitamins should be one feeding a day 2 days a week.

Hope this helps.

Ronni1123

Original Poster
sweetpea1981":3txo414w said:
The uvb should be either a reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE or the arcadia + d3 12% TUBE. These are the only 2 bulbs recommended for bearded dragons, unless you go with an mvb bulb.
With the reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE they need to be able to get within 6-8 inches away from it to absorb the uvb, it should also be mounted in the tank as the screen can block out 30-50% or more of the uvb rays.
Those stick on theremometers can be up to 20 degrees off you should get either a digital probe or a temp gun for more accurate readings.
The basking temp should be around 105 degrees.
You shouldn't use a red night light as beardies need complete darkness to sleep, unless your tank get under 65 degrees at night you don't need anything, if it gets lower than 65 degrees at night you could use a ceramic heat emitter.
You need to take the temperature of the actual basking spot, like the log or the rock or whatever you guy lays on to bask, not just the air temp.
Feeding they should be offered a salad all day everyday, and live food 2-3 times a day as much as they can eat in 10-15 mins. Here is the link for the nutrional chart http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
The dusting schedule should be calcium one feeding a day 5 days a week, vitamins should be one feeding a day 2 days a week.

Hope this helps.
Okay..
I'm just freaking out right now.
I seriously just spent over $200 on this new setup for her. I'm doing everything I can, but I do not get paid until a few weeks from now.

I got everything that I was recommended to do, thinking it was right. :((
I am seriously broke.

Ronni1123

Original Poster
Thanks for all your help.. Now I know.

This is the third time I have read/ been recommended something completely wrong for my beardie. It makes me SO MAD.

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
Yes the initial cost for setting up a beardie tank can be a little costly in the beginning, and I know it can be a little overwhelming too. There are some cheap solutions though
The reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE can be bought online for ALOT cheaper than you will find in the store this is where I get mine (if you order 49 bucks worth of stuff you get free shipping!)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+6028+15468&pcatid=15468
The probe thermometers can also be bought there for 6.99 a piece you would need 2, unless you go with a temp gun which can also be ordered there.
The fixture for the reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE can be bought at walmart for like 8 bucks it is an under the counter light fixture a T8 (made for florescent tubes) just take out the bulb that comes with it and put in the reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE, to mount it in the cage you can use heavy duty velcro (like 2 bucks at walmart in the section with suction cups), or 3M command hooks
If you have the receipts for the stuff that you shouldn't use you could take them back, if you don't have the receipt they still might take it back in exchange for store credit that you could use for feeders or other stuff like cage decorations.
Once you get this straightened out it will be so much easier and we are all here to help with any questions you have!

Ronni1123

Original Poster
sweetpea1981":jkco91l2 said:
Yes the initial cost for setting up a beardie tank can be a little costly in the beginning, and I know it can be a little overwhelming too. There are some cheap solutions though
The reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE can be bought online for ALOT cheaper than you will find in the store this is where I get mine (if you order 49 bucks worth of stuff you get free shipping!)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+6028+15468&pcatid=15468
The probe thermometers can also be bought there for 6.99 a piece you would need 2, unless you go with a temp gun which can also be ordered there.
The fixture for the reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE can be bought at walmart for like 8 bucks it is an under the counter light fixture a T8 (made for florescent tubes) just take out the bulb that comes with it and put in the reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE, to mount it in the cage you can use heavy duty velcro (like 2 bucks at walmart in the section with suction cups), or 3M command hooks
If you have the receipts for the stuff that you shouldn't use you could take them back, if you don't have the receipt they still might take it back in exchange for store credit that you could use for feeders or other stuff like cage decorations.
Once you get this straightened out it will be so much easier and we are all here to help with any questions you have!

Should I put the UVB light fixture on the side of her viv or sitting on the wire lid?

How should I set all this up?
And should I buy 3 thermometers?
Tell me everything you can.

Thank you so so much.

Ronni1123

Original Poster
sweetpea1981":2q8xlq5p said:

Should I put the UVB light fixture on the side of her viv or sitting on the wire lid?

How should I set all this up?
And should I buy 3 thermometers?
Tell me everything you can.

Thank you so so much.

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
The fixture should be inside the tank, you can use metal tank hangers or 3M command hooks, whatever method you prefer.
If you go to Walmart and get the digital thermometer with remote probe then you will only need the one. Place the probe on the basking spot and then the thermometer itself on the cold side, that will give you both readings.
What are you using as substrate? If you use tile then it will keep her nails trimmed and you won;t have to do it yourself.

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
You would mount the uvb inside the tank on the back wall or under the screen, it would go in the basking area spot, it needs to be within 6-8 inches of the basking spot. That way when your baby basks they are also getting their uvb, which is very important, bad or not enough uvb cause metabolic bone disease, it can also cause eye problems

You either need 2 thermometers one for hot side one for cool side that stay in the tank OR you could get a temp gun a temp gun does not stay in the tank it is a little (like a remote looking thing) that you can hold 2 inches away from whatever you want to take the temp of and push a button and it will tell you the temp and you could just use that. That is your own personal preference a temp gun is a little more money but is useful if you decide to get more than one beardie cause each beardie should have its own enclosure.

Also what kind of substrate are you using? We do not recommend any kind of loose substrate (sand, rocks, stuff like that, it poses an impaction risk) The best substrates are slate tile, repticarpet, non adhesive shelf liner, newspaper, paper towels.

If you need anything else explained or have any other questions don't hesitate to post we want to make sure you get the best advice for you and your beardie! :D

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
Mediabandit":f1d6zvmu said:
The fixture should be inside the tank, you can use metal tank hangers or 3M command hooks, whatever method you prefer.
If you go to Walmart and get the digital thermometer with remote probe then you will only need the one. Place the probe on the basking spot and then the thermometer itself on the cold side, that will give you both readings.
What are you using as substrate? If you use tile then it will keep her nails trimmed and you won;t have to do it yourself.
That cool I didn't know about that with the digital thermometer from walmart! I have 4 of the cheaper ones from drs smith and foster so I have 2 for each tank but we also have a temp gun too. But yeah the one from walmart is only 10-12 bucks and it is called acurite digital thermometer located in the indoor/outdoor thermometer section, so that would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom