Questions about how many crickets to give and diarrhea

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
So, my bearded dragon has been having frequent poops for a while and diarrhea. Which is just unformed poops and urate. She got tested for parasites and didn’t have any. Someone told me it was too much greens and I made adjustments and it got better. Then, she didn’t poop for a week. When she pooped again, it was back to diarrhea and frequently. It is a lot of runny urate. I think she is eating too much greens because she is gravid, so she is eating more greens but is not getting more crickets. It also helped when I gave less butternut squash. But, I accidentally forgot to stick with the adjustments because she stopped pooping frequently and I got distracted with her being gravid. They were only small adjustments. I just handed her less greens and gave her less squash. And maybe a couple extra crickets. Does it sound like I just need to make the adjustments I did last time again in order to get her poop back to normal? I could also give sweet potato to firm up her poop. And I have a probiotic I havent used but could start. She is close to laying, so I don’t think her appetite will be large for much longer.

I also think the amount of crickets she eats might need adjustments anyway. That way she has less greens. I give her 5 every other day. But, I think it should probably be more like 7. A vet told me to do 5 because they thought she was getting too full for greens. But, that is not the case right now. Also, even though I give her large crickets they seem smaller then they are supposed to be. So, should I do even more than 7?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So, my bearded dragon has been having frequent poops for a while and diarrhea. Which is just unformed poops and urate. She got tested for parasites and didn’t have any. Someone told me it was too much greens and I made adjustments and it got better. Then, she didn’t poop for a week. When she pooped again, it was back to diarrhea and frequently. It is a lot of runny urate. I think she is eating too much greens because she is gravid, so she is eating more greens but is not getting more crickets. It also helped when I gave less butternut squash. But, I accidentally forgot to stick with the adjustments because she stopped pooping frequently and I got distracted with her being gravid. They were only small adjustments. I just handed her less greens and gave her less squash. And maybe a couple extra crickets. Does it sound like I just need to make the adjustments I did last time again in order to get her poop back to normal? I could also give sweet potato to firm up her poop. And I have a probiotic I havent used but could start. She is close to laying, so I don’t think her appetite will be large for much longer.

I also think the amount of crickets she eats might need adjustments anyway. That way she has less greens. I give her 5 every other day. But, I think it should probably be more like 7. A vet told me to do 5 because they thought she was getting too full for greens. But, that is not the case right now. Also, even though I give her large crickets they seem smaller then they are supposed to be. So, should I do even more than 7?
How old is the dragon? If shes a year or older she should only be getting insects 2-3 times per week - offer her salad but cut out the squash--- use the raw shredded sweet potato and see what the poop does - she can eat as much salad as she wants but limit the squash this is more than likely the culprit for the runny stool---when going back to the squash again feed little bit --- and watch to see if the runs start again --

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
How old is the dragon? If shes a year or older she should only be getting insects 2-3 times per week - offer her salad but cut out the squash--- use the raw shredded sweet potato and see what the poop does - she can eat as much salad as she wants but limit the squash this is more than likely the culprit for the runny stool---when going back to the squash again feed little bit --- and watch to see if the runs start again --
She 4-5. I guess I give her insects 3-4 times a week. Can I give her the sweet potato everyday? I read somewhere that it should only be given 1-2 times a month. Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She 4-5. I guess I give her insects 3-4 times a week. Can I give her the sweet potato everyday? I read somewhere that it should only be given 1-2 times a month. Thank you!
It says in moderation for feeding the sweet potato - so I would feed maybe 2 times a week to see if it firms up the poop --- if it does not do the trick we then need to figure out what else can be used to firm the poop up --

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
It says in moderation for feeding the sweet potato - so I would feed maybe 2 times a week to see if it firms up the poop --- if it does not do the trick we then need to figure out what else can be used to firm the poop up --
Ok, thank you! My sweet potato is probably expired, so I need to get some more. But, I know she really liked it when I gave it to her before.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She is gravid so she can have as many insects as she wants. That ALWAYS dictates how much food a female can eat, unless they were or are obese before they became gravid.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
She is gravid so she can have as many insects as she wants. That ALWAYS dictates how much food a female can eat, unless they were or are obese before they became gravid.
Ok, should I let them run free in the Sand though? Also, I think she would eat all the crickets. I can give more. She will be happy about that.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, not letting them free. Just up the amount of crickets for the time she's been laying. This is her 2nd clutch so she's been producing eggs for a couple months. At least double the amount, she probably won't eat that much right now when she's full of eggs so after she's done you can increase the amount and a few less greens.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
No, not letting them free. Just up the amount of crickets for the time she's been laying. This is her 2nd clutch so she's been producing eggs for a couple months. At least double the amount, she probably won't eat that much right now when she's full of eggs so after she's done you can increase the amount and a few less greens.
Ok, thank you! I will give her 10. Should that be 2-3 times a week. Or should I still do it every other day?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom