I built my own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks good! I do recommend replacing your CFL uvb bulb with a long tube such as the reptisun 10.0 or the arcadia 12%
The CFL's don't put out very good uvb.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Not too shabby a job .

In the short term

I'd replace the compact UVB globe with a T5ho reflector hood (about 2/3 the length of the tank and install an Arcadia T5ho 12%IUVB tube in it.
You'll see an immediate improvement in brightness and likely a quick improvement in activity and appetite from the dragon.

I'd remove the sand I think I can see you are using as the substrate, it's just not worth the risk of impaction to have this or any other particulate substrates in a bearded dragons tank.

I'd move the basking globe to one end so you have a lighting setup plan like this :
optimal_stylised_plan_view_layout_of_lights.png

and use this as your guide
arcadia_bearded_dragon_lighting_guide.png

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
claudiusx":9l3or01f said:
Looks good! I do recommend replacing your CFL uvb bulb with a long tube such as the reptisun 10.0 or the arcadia 12%
The CFL's don't put out very good uvb.

-Brndon

I concur, even a very good CFL like a 26W UVB200 in a nano hood or reflector dome will not have the UV power to provide adequate UVA & UVB at further than 8 inches from the globe and it's only going to provide UV in a small section of the tank.

The spectrum from GOOD quality CFL made by Arcadia, Exo Terra and Zoo Med is very good , just not got the penetrating power for larger tank like your's.

Hydrogod86

Original Poster
Thank you..... as far as the lighting goes.... They're from my 20 gallon. So I knew i was gonna have to update my lighting. I do get her out in the sun for about 30 to 60 minutes a day for uvb reasons. Ill look into those recommendations for sure though. Thank you guys.

Hydrogod86

Original Poster
As far as my substrate goes i have mixture of sand and desert mix. I like it because she's a digger and it holds heat. I have a small area at the end of the enclosure of top soil where i leave her food and water. That way it doesn't get covered in sand. Not too worried of impaction. Also being that i have top soil. I'm gonna grow some grass and herbs for here there as well.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Hydrogod86":2ctupgoc said:
As far as my substrate goes i have mixture of sand and desert mix. I like it because she's a digger and it holds heat. I have a small area at the end of the enclosure of top soil where i leave her food and water. That way it doesn't get covered in sand. Not too worried of impaction. Also being that i have top soil. I'm gonna grow some grass and herbs for here there as well.

Unfortunately sand and topsoil will also hold moisture (not good) and provide a perfect cultivation medium for nasties like moulds , fungi , bacteria , viruses (very bad) , and if she is feed in the tank she'll likely get sand in her mouth everytime she slams a bug and when she drags her salad out of the salad dish.
Really not worth the risk of ingesting the sand and topsoil , especially if it's got a tendency to clump or react in contact with moisture ==> high potential for impaction.

If you must give opportunity for her to dig, a dig box is the way to go.

What is you latitude ? ….: we can check if the natural sun exposure is likely adequate.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Hydrogod86":5za3uwlk said:

Probably not wise to have live plants in a bearded dragon's viv , as they will create excess humidity and your dragon will likely destroy them.

Hydrogod86

Original Poster
I appreciate your concern with the substrate. But me personally, over the amount of years that I've used it, I've never had a problem with it. Ppl make it out to be so evil but it really isn't. Also im not worried about any moisture with or with out plants. And the plants are and will be for eating. Thats the purpose behind them. Its not for decor. .......116.9772° W

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Hydrogod86":3q72myz0 said:
I appreciate your concern with the substrate. But me personally, over the amount of years that I've used it, I've never had a problem with it. Ppl make it out to be so evil but it really isn't. Also im not worried about any moisture with or with out plants. And the plants are and will be for eating. Thats the purpose behind them. Its not for decor. .......116.9772° W
116.9772° W is latitude < puts you somewhere in the USA or Canada ? >

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom