New Enclosure: Suggestions

Nolankun

Beardie name(s)
Hopper
Hola Beardie Lovers!

Just got a new enclosure yesterday night, it's a 120 gallon, built it today (previous: 40 gal) so it is a big upgrade. I'm off to the store to get new things for it and I was wondering what the best things you guys would recommend I get.

I was thinking new substrate, I just put in some repti-bark that I got from a local pet store. They use it for their bearded dragons and other reptiles, I know some say it's bad since there is a chance for impaction.... and then just the repti-carpet from the previous enclosure. I was considering tile, I just need some recommendations for which type to get from Lowe's or HomeDepot.

I also need to find away to get the UVB inside the cage so he gets the proper amount of it, how far should it be from the top of basking again? (It's a T8, with reflector)
The Basking stop gets to 95~ish so it is good where it is at the moment.

Attachments

• 20230712_115804.jpg
    20230712_115804.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 129

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hola Beardie Lovers!

Just got a new enclosure yesterday night, it's a 120 gallon, built it today (previous: 40 gal) so it is a big upgrade. I'm off to the store to get new things for it and I was wondering what the best things you guys would recommend I get.

I was thinking new substrate, I just put in some repti-bark that I got from a local pet store. They use it for their bearded dragons and other reptiles, I know some say it's bad since there is a chance for impaction.... and then just the repti-carpet from the previous enclosure. I was considering tile, I just need some recommendations for which type to get from Lowe's or HomeDepot.

I also need to find away to get the UVB inside the cage so he gets the proper amount of it, how far should it be from the top of basking again? (It's a T8, with reflector)
The Basking stop gets to 95~ish so it is good where it is at the moment.
I recommend getting a T 5 - you will need a whole new fixture --- the T8's are fine for smaller tanks anything over a 40 it is recommended a T 5 --- w / the T 8 it needs to be inside the tank 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - the T 5 distance would be 12-15 inches directly above --- as far as tile it needs to be cut to by a tile cutter so you dont get jagged edges and measured inside your tank - you want a ceramic tile that has texture not coarse and nothing smooth - rub your hand over it -- here is a pic of mine I got at Home Depot- I use a rubber mat from Zen w/ 2 pieces running width in the tank for the nails -

Attachments

• floor tile.jpg
    floor tile.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 63

Nolankun

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hopper
I recommend getting a T 5 - you will need a whole new fixture --- the T8's are fine for smaller tanks anything over a 40 it is recommended a T 5 --- w / the T 8 it needs to be inside the tank 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor - the T 5 distance would be 12-15 inches directly above --- as far as tile it needs to be cut to by a tile cutter so you dont get jagged edges and measured inside your tank - you want a ceramic tile that has texture not coarse and nothing smooth - rub your hand over it -- here is a pic of mine I got at Home Depot- I use a rubber mat from Zen w/ 2 pieces running width in the tank for the nails -
Cool, I was going through the feeling of various tiles and found one that has an amazing texture in was only $1.99 although it is Porcelain some sources said it was okay so I picked it up.
Also will this uvb work? (T5, Zone3, UVI 2.9 - 7.4) *pic attached

Attachments

• 16891904871631638617772577340015.jpg
    16891904871631638617772577340015.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 54

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Cool, I was going through the feeling of various tiles and found one that has an amazing texture in was only $1.99 although it is Porcelain some sources said it was okay so I picked it up.
Also will this uvb work? (T5, Zone3, UVI 2.9 - 7.4) *pic attached
I would go w/ a better brand of uvb- a zoo med w/ reptisun 10.0 bulb a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb or a sunblaster nano tech w the reptisun 10.0 bulb - I can post links if you need them

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes, I would appreciate some links. Also do you know of a reliable Hygrometer?
Here are some links for UVB's
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood you will need to get this bulb
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
this one you can find at Pet Smart if you have one you need the 24 watt 12% bulb
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this one you will need to get the Reptisun bulb posted above and you want the 2 ft or 24"
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
Here is a link for a hygrometer - you dont need to get this one but you want one like it
Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com
Please place the probe on your back center wall of the tank -

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom