Digging a cave

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
IMG_20231217_160129.jpg

So right when I started ramping the lights back up, Luis decided to get to town on his new substrate and built himself a nice little brumation cave right in the back of the tank.
He hasn't come out of it for a week and he's at 10.5 daylight hours right now with the cool side heated to 85°F.
Lets see how long he decides to continue his sleep from here on 😇😅

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He looks sleepy in that pic too.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Mighty fine cave! 10/10

-Brandon
I'm so proud, I tried a long time to build the tank in way that he's able to build one safely and this looks really good.
Downside, there is literally no way to get him out of there if he doesn't come out on his own 😂

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Great job! You chose a great substrate and Luis is a good builder. This is a great workout for his leg muscles and a great place for brumation. May I know? How thick is your substrate layer and what does it consist of? it's very similar to Australian soil.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Packaging says it is granite based sand but it's from a local shop that puts his own branding on it. It gets delivered wet and needs some time to dry out. After that it gets quite solid and holds burrows really well. It can be reused also if needed.

Thickness varies a bit. It looks massive on the picture but I made it probably 7 inches or so high so he can dig in but doesn't have too much material on top that could brake down an crush him. I also buried lots of rocks to make sure his caves can't spread too far around the tank.

Lights are already off right now (it's 9pm here) but I can get you some more pictures tomorrow if you like.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Packaging says it is granite based sand but it's from a local shop that puts his own branding on it. It gets delivered wet and needs some time to dry out. After that it gets quite solid and holds burrows really well. It can be reused also if needed.

Thickness varies a bit. It looks massive on the picture but I made it probably 7 inches or so high so he can dig in but doesn't have too much material on top that could brake down an crush him. I also buried lots of rocks to make sure his caves can't spread too far around the tank.

Lights are already off right now (it's 9pm here) but I can get you some more pictures tomorrow if you like.
Yes, I really want to see how you arranged a new apartment for Luis!

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Yes, I really want to see how you arranged a new apartment for Luis!
IMG_20231218_161812.jpg
IMG_20231218_161919.jpg
IMG_20231218_161925.jpg
IMG_20231218_162034.jpg
IMG_20231218_162121.jpg
IMG_20231218_162147.jpg

So I tried to get good pics with some measurements. Keep in mind that's cm (1 inch would be 2,2cm if i remember correctly)
The rear with the cave is about 7ish inches deep of the sand.

As you can see, he was nit happy about me taking those measurements 😅

I don't worry about geting him out. It is supposed to be a place for him to take shelter from everything and if he needs something he will come out on his own :)

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
This is very cool! Usually under such photo it is written: “Find the dragon.” 😆
You did a great job, thank you for the dimensions and explanations, they will help me in planning my terrarium. I also live in the metric system and I’m more accustomed to seeing sizes in centimeters. If inches are important to someone, then they can be converted by dividing centimeters by a factor of 2.54. And my apologies to Luis for having to endure all these measurements.
It’s good that Luis has a place in which he is confident and he knows that they can’t take him if he doesn’t want it, Foxy also has this and everyone in my family knows that they can’t take him from there.
I admire Luis and his talent for construction, he was able to dig such a large niche in such hard ground!
By the way, does he use branches to climb as high as possible?

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
View attachment 86050 View attachment 86051 View attachment 86052 View attachment 86053 View attachment 86054 View attachment 86055
So I tried to get good pics with some measurements. Keep in mind that's cm (1 inch would be 2,2cm if i remember correctly)
The rear with the cave is about 7ish inches deep of the sand.

As you can see, he was nit happy about me taking those measurements 😅

I don't worry about geting him out. It is supposed to be a place for him to take shelter from everything and if he needs something he will come out on his own :)
Man that is an awesome setup. Now I feel bad for my guys, I guess I gotta rethink my setups now lol 😆

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
This is very cool! Usually under such photo it is written: “Find the dragon.” 😆
You did a great job, thank you for the dimensions and explanations, they will help me in planning my terrarium. I also live in the metric system and I’m more accustomed to seeing sizes in centimeters. If inches are important to someone, then they can be converted by dividing centimeters by a factor of 2.54. And my apologies to Luis for having to endure all these measurements.
It’s good that Luis has a place in which he is confident and he knows that they can’t take him if he doesn’t want it, Foxy also has this and everyone in my family knows that they can’t take him from there.
I admire Luis and his talent for construction, he was able to dig such a large niche in such hard ground!
By the way, does he use branches to climb as high as possible?
It is a piece of work and I can tell you there isn't a lot of claw left on the front but it doesn't seem to bother him.
He does use literally all of the branches he has, which is why I tried very hard to have a way for him to get down from every peak safely.
He doesn't care anyways and sometimes climbs up the foam backwall or the sidewalls as well 🙈
Don't you have a really nice tank for Foxy as well?!

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Man that is an awesome setup. Now I feel bad for my guys, I guess I gotta rethink my setups now lol 😆
Thank you but I also took some inspiration from some of your setups ;)
Also the laws in Germany are quite harsh, so we have to use quite big tanks for our animals compared to the rest of the world (this is 210GAL or 150x80x80cm)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom