how to start veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.
do not feed any bugs until it eats veggies tell me what you were trying to feed and if his continues for more than a week give in and give them some crickets

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
boasbeardiesballs":49340 said:
how do i get tiff to eat the veggies?
The most important question before this can be answered is how old is your beardie? Babies usually don't show much interest in greens until several months old because their body is calling for lots of protein to help them grow properly. So, if your beardie is about 8 mo old or younger, just continue to give him his live food. The interest in greens will come later as his growing starts to slow down.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
True younger beardies require more protein 80% and 20% vegetation. But don't they still need their 20% vegetation if you can get them to eat it?.... Yes it's true they may not show interest for sometime and this is okay.

But myself I've always been concerned about that 20% vegetation thing so all of my beardies that I've raised from babies have eaten veggies sense very small, even if it is only a bite or two per day. I usually introduce them to veggies with mustard greens the ones with very curly edges. I drench them in water and let them suck the moisture from the edges of the leaves usually it is no time before they take a bite. Also if you try hand feeding just a bit or two once in awhile this can help. I usually do this first thing in the morning once they have warmed up and are usually the hungriest before offering live feeders.

What i have done is everysingle day since i got my beardie (he's now 4 months old) i have given him a salad in the morning about an hour or two after his lights come on and then wait two more hours before giving him any live food. Becaues he has not eatin all night they are usually pretty hungry so they might go for it. I also started putting a few PW or (very small) mealworms in the salad to encourage him. For the first 2 1/2 months he just picked out the worms. Last month he started to get "careless" and was getting bites of the salad with the worms. Today for the first time ever i did not put worms in his salad and he still ate some of it on his own!! That was the way a few people told me to go about it and although i pretty much gave up on him eating the salad apparently it works! Just a really slow process so be patient!

threecupsofcoffee

Hatchling Member
my beardy is coming up to eight months old now and has only just started to show interest in the green stuff. One thing we did try was pretending it was moving around the same as her live food it has been effective. It is a relief though when they actually start enjoying the veggies, so good luck
Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom