Dried veggies

Mr.Dragon

Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
I just got a new juvenile, I've bought every green and vegetable down the list but so far "he" only likes 2 or 3 different items. I can't get him to eat anything fresh. Any fresh greens I put in front of him he wont eat. But I also bought the dried omnivore mix from the pet store and he eats those greens and veggies no problem.
Does his green intake have to be fresh? Or will the dried veggies mix be enough?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is better for it to be fresh. Salad items are an essential source of hydration for them, which is also crucial for their health.

2 or 3 different salad items are good as long as they are staple items.

-Brandon

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
It is better for it to be fresh. Salad items are an essential source of hydration for them, which is also crucial for their health.

-Brandon
Oh okay, I can get him to eat some squash before insects, and I also sprits him with water throughout the day. So a couple bites of veggies/greens a day is enough to keep him healthy and hydrated?
-Mr. Dragon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Spritzing is pointless unless he licks the droplets of water. They absolutely have to have water orally to be hydrated. It is a widely spread misconception that they "soak" hydration through their skin or vent, they do not. Babies are a lot more susceptible to dehydration then adults and it's harder to spot. I recommend getting an eyedropper from the pharmacy or Walmart ect. Just drip it on his snout and he should lap it up. If he doesn't you can add in a little none citrus fruit juice or punch to give it flavor. Be sure to use a wet cloth to wipe away any that runs down his chin. No need to take a chance of starting a fungal or bacterial problem in his scales.

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon
Spritzing is pointless unless he licks the droplets of water. They absolutely have to have water orally to be hydrated. It is a widely spread misconception that they "soak" hydration through their skin or vent, they do not. Babies are a lot more susceptible to dehydration then adults and it's harder to spot. I recommend getting an eyedropper from the pharmacy or Walmart ect. Just drip it on his snout and he should lap it up. If he doesn't you can add in a little none citrus fruit juice or punch to give it flavor. Be sure to use a wet cloth to wipe away any that runs down his chin. No need to take a chance of starting a fungal or bacterial problem in his
Wow that worked perfectly! He drank it right up! Thank you!

Last edited:

Mr.Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Dragon

-Brandon
I still haven't been able to get him to eat more fresh veggies as opposed to dried veggies. He eats plenty of dried veggies that is left available to him throughout the day, will this be okay if I manually hydrate him by feeding him water every night? He usually drinks between 30-60 ml a night before he starts to turn his head away. Is this routine okay? Or do I need to try harder to get him to eat fresh fruits and veggies?
-Mr. Dragon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom