Hilarious Things that Non-Herp People Say!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
My favorite is "Is that thing real?" It makes me wanna be a hateful old woman and say,"Of course she's not real,I am a grown woman who still carries around a stuffed or rubber lizard on my shirt." LOLOLOL Of course I explain of course she is real and that I enjoy her company so when it is warm I take her places with me.

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I officially love this thread. I totally feel closer to you guys because we all share similar experiences! :D

BTW, I also dislike the "Is that thing real?" question, but not as much as I hate someone referring to my beloved pet as a "thing". My answer is always an emphatical "Yes, HE is real."

Story time! teehee Hubby and I are youth leaders and we were at the church filming stuff one day and I brought Griffin for funzies. He was sitting up on the stage and I was on the other side of the room. One of our older youth leaders came in and had to walk past the stage. All of a sudden, I hear screaming and look over and she's doing the "There's a mouse on the floor" dance. She looked over at me as I was laughing and apologizing and was like "What is that?! And why do you have it?!" She proceeded to explain "You told me you had a lizard...I pictured a cute little green thing! This! This is...it's huge! And it looks like a cactus." That was the end of the conversation with her and she refused to come in the room again that day. Even now she tends to peek in the room and ask if I have the "little demon lizard" with me. The funniest thing to me is that she was fine with my five and a half foot corn snake and would even touch him! People are so silly!!! :laughing6:

Starforce2

Juvie Member
"I thought that thing was part of your shirt until it moved!"

The old ladies at the bus company I work for act as if having it at the company picnic was going to make everyone sick, as if I was spreading a comet like trail of salmonella or some other disease as I walked by or just by being in the room.

I was at a petstore and standing next to an old lady who's young girl, maybe 4 or 5, was sticking her finger in the cage of a cat who likes to lick. I asked what she'd (the little girl) would think of this (and pointed to my shoulder) and lady screamed and jumped a foot or so back and the girl saw it next and hide behind the ladies leg but was smiling the whole time and continued so far as leaning out the open car door as her caretaker was trying to strap her in as I drive by in my car. A few minutes later, a second old lady pulled up along side me, and was clearly astounded by the fact that I was driving around with a lizard on my shoulder. I held it up for a better look as we drove off.

Oh yes, and I just love the comment of "nice iguana". I've never seen an iguana that looks like a bearded dragon. :roll:

Little kids sometimes ask if it will "eat them" and often times I will have little girls as young as 3-5 years old wanting to touch it while their 8-10 year old brothers wont go near it.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I work with law enforcement officers, and they are all terrified of my lizards. I took my darling Campbell Jane, who was a teeny little thing, to work with me one day, and I had the officers backed up against the wall trying to get away from her! These are very large men in bullet proof vests. :laughhard:

articwolfgirl

Juvie Member
Jasper's Mom":domlj5sy said:
I work with law enforcement officers, and they are all terrified of my lizards. I took my darling Campbell Jane, who was a teeny little thing, to work with me one day, and I had the officers backed up against the wall trying to get away from her! These are very large men in bullet proof vests. :laughhard:

this made my morning 5 stars XD :lol:

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
OMG!!! ROFLMAO!!! Wouldn't you just love to see these big strong men with guns and vest hiding in corner afraid of a little dragon? :laughhard: :laughhard:

LadyJ

Whenever I'd have my blue-tongue out I'd get so many people thinking it was a snake... got some people run away, a few screamed, one girl looked like she would cry! The looks I get when I tell them the python didn't want to go for walkies!

I've had a teacher tell me that I should be careful because my PYTHON will 'poison' me or wrap around me and suddenly kill me!

I also get people over and when they see the shingleback and bearded dragon next to eachother they say, "wow, that one's pretty!" and instantly grab for the beardie... funny when the beardie bites them! :roll:

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Jasper's mom.........I know the feeling!! I have taken Alf and Gimli to car shows and cruise ins with me and ladies will stop to ask questions or want to pet her and here are these BIG fellas who look like they could play football going all bug eyed and walking away looking scared to death.LLOLOLOL it's hilarious!!!!!!!!
Sara

articwolfgirl

Juvie Member
its hard to beleive people would be scarred of a beardie personally i am scarred of igganas. I had a six foot male chase me out of my friends home. >> been scarred of them ever since

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, I guess I'm not alone, lol. The responses that you all get from your beardie sound like what I get all the time. Like "Is that apart of your shirt?" and "Is that real?".

I can stand around talking to a couple of people and then someone would say "oh, that is real!" after that I'm standing by myself in a circle of people who backed up real fast like I just farted or something, lol.

I did have adult come up to me one time and started asking questions about Midna. When I got to the question of "What kind is she?" I said a bearded dragon. And the question that followed I wouldn't have expected an adult to ask. Her question "Does it breathe fire?" :?

ReptiMama2

Hatchling Member
It is amazing what kind of stupid questions people come up with sometimes! I haven't gotten any about reptiles yet but I have about other hobbies. I've had my students ask me if my Ball Python will eat them, there are days I want to say only if you miss behave! LOL

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
For me, my beardie inspires more questions and less fear. The snakes however, are quite the opposite. Once people feel they are a safe distance away, they start asking a ridiculous amount of questions...

Starforce2

Juvie Member
there was one dude from africa at the local park. His daughter had ran over and told him there was a lizard on the playground and she didn't want nothing to do with it, but dad wanted to go and buy one.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
lol, great idea for a thread. Lessee....
Well, I work at a pet store, and often have customers ask if I have any animals. You can always tell the traditional gimme-something-fuzzy people, cuz they get this really pinched expression on their faces when i say that I have a bearded dragon, and that its a type of lizard, and that she is about 18 inches long, and no, she has never bit me, and no, she's not poisonous or dangerous in any fashion, and yes, she likes her worms and other crunchies very much thank you very much.
I've had a couple people very blatently jump back from me upon hearing that I have 2 snakes.
My mother has vowed she will never come visit me if she ever finds out I have a snake. So, it has slipped my mind several times to tell her about my snakes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom