HELP/Many Health concerns/Merged threads/posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancellor91

Juvie Member
my bd is about 3 months old, and my mother bought me King Size meal worms
i didnt think any thing of it, and he ate 4 of them? and he hasnt pooped for a couple days? and i can feel the lumps in his gut ? i been giving him a lot of olive oil and baths? any suggestions

Lennifer

Juvie Member
King sized meal worms? I don't feed meal worms because they have a hard shell which is hard to digest. He/she probably is impacted for the fact that he is 3 months old & he ate King size meal worms. The live feeders should never be bigger then the space between your bearded dragons eyes. I honestly don't know any other suggestions. other then the warm soaks & oil. Hopefully someone else will be able to help u more. U can actually feel the lumps in his belly?

~Sandy

LJean

Extreme Poster
What are the basking temps?

Keep up with warm baths and the oil (just a few drops at a time) Do not feed any solid foods right now. You can try feeding some wet food (blended up veggies with some applesauce or 100% canned pumpkin).

No more large bugs. ;)

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ok so he just passed a really big pooooo

but i still feel some lumps and can not tell if those are part of his body or a left over meal worm

seemed like he pushed pretty hard and it was a very solid poooo

his basking is anywere from 95 to 120 depending on were he sits in the tree

and i use a digital therm.

thanks for the help im kinda new at this whole thing

LJean

Extreme Poster
That is great that he pooped. Hopefully he chooses a good hot spot out of those temps. That will help him. He may have a little more in there, but since this one was a big one, I think he will be ok. Can you go one day without feeding him solid foods and see what tomorrow brings?

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
i can but he gets angry and wants more

i gave him 3 crickets this morning so i guess make him eat baby food for now?

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
my bd is about 3 months old, and his/her eyes seem to be almost swollen or half opened? and when i went to the pet store they said it could be a sign of illness, and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions. :|

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How close is the Powersun 100 watt to your dragon? Try putting an energy saver coil light in right beside it to brighten the tank up a little bit more maybe that will help a little bit.
What type of substrate are you using?
What type of tank is your dragon in?
Is there anything in the tank that could be toxic?

Tracie

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
-40 gallong tank
- like 3 months old
-the light can be any were from 2 inches, to 14 inches depending on where she sits in her tree canope
- i am using the cal sand, which i kno all yal hate, but she seems to be doing just fine on it, she ate it once or twice, and didnt like the taste of it much, and i have never seen her do it again(I watch her a lot in her cage, since i get sent to my room so much =) so i no she isnt really eating it, never had any health problems, but question? is powersun a good brand? i heard you guys dont like some brands so info is helpfull :shock:

-- also this might help, she really only does this eye thing sometimes, but if she is eating and out in the living room running around her eyes are fine, but seems to be sleeping more? but still eats and is active when i take her out, also she has only shed once for the 2 months i had her, her arms and tail have gone a second time, but the body has not

----- and no nothing could be toxic, she has 2 baths a day and drinks from them A LOT !!!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
chancellor91":427f2 said:
the light can be any were from 2 inches, to 14 inches depending on where she sits in her tree canope

There is a minimum distance requirement for all MVBs. With a 100w MVB, your dragon should never be able to get within less than 12 inches of the bulb. I'm attaching a link to a previous thread that you might find very helpful. It deals with a similar situation:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98207&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=powersun+eye

The reason she is fairing better outside the enclosure is because her eyes are getting a break from the bulb. However, overtime, this close exposure will likely cause more permanent type damage. It is absolutely imperative that you modify your dragon's enclosure so that she can no longer get so close to the MVB. However, for right now, I suggest that you turn it off entirely for a the period of time it takes for your beardie's eye to heal.

The above thread will offer more expert information and advice in the form of moderator Tracie [Drache613]. Please pay particular attention to her replies. She has already replied to you here of course, so will certainly be back to check in with you, but if you get this in the meantime, it might be able to offer you some informative background.

In answer to your question, the PowerSun--while not as strong as some in terms of UVB output--is a good bulb. But to be clear, at a distance of under 12 inches can be very dangerous to your beardie.

And you're right, the calci-sand (or loose substrates of any kind) is not well-spoken of around here. There is just way too much evidence of it creating grave impaction issues. Just not worth the risk. *sigh*

Please keep us posted on your ailing dragon.

Thank you,
Em

chancellor91

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ok thank you very much i took her log away from the light with her plants, so she cant get to close and i turned it off, but for how long should i have it off?

she doesnt seem to be eating as much this morning so i worried and hope she ok

LJean

Extreme Poster
I would leave it off for a day or two and see how she does. She may not be eating because you changed some things in her viv. Hard to say. Hope she does better for you soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stocam01
Top Bottom