Help! limp tail and foul smell

jkratman

Original Poster
Fin is scheduled to have a portion of his tail removed tomorrow morning. Loaded him on antibiotic and pain meds in the meantime. I will let you all know how it goes.

Thank you all so much for your help and support.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good, I'm glad to see that they moved so quickly ! I doubt he's in pain so I'd have waited until after the surgery but keep in mind that they do not feel a lot pf pain in the tail so he'll be good with minimal pain meds.
Has the vet done many of these ? Just want to be sure they cut high enough to get the bad tissue out that's unseen, under the scales. Everything should go well, sending my best wishes and look forward to hearing the outcome.

jkratman

Original Poster
Thanks, AHBD. Yes, she is experienced and told me she'd likely go at least an inch above the trauma site.

I agree on the meds, but she seemed convinced he was in pain, based on how it looks. They gave him .04 meloxicam. I hope it makes him more comfortable.

He just ate like he was starving, so I hope that is a good sign.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear she's experienced and will cut above the visible bad area. And yeah, Fin's good appetite is a good sign. Probably no more food for the rest of the day though !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great Fin will get some medical care. Sorry that
he is losing part of his tail, poor thing. It sounds like she has knowledge of this procedure so hopefully it will all go smoothly.
It is a great sign he is eating well. Let us know how the surgery goes!

Tracie

jkratman

Original Poster
Fin is home now. The surgeon said it went well and that she went a bit higher than we had discussed to be sure. He now weighs 350g, down from 410 at his peak. and ~380 before his tail atrophied.

He is on .05 Ceftazidime injection every 72 hours and meloxicam liquid .04 oral, once per day.
Suture removal and follow up is scheduled for 3 weeks.

I'm super relieved, but still really nervous.

Thanks everyone for the expertise and support.

1712788100327.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Fin is home now. The surgeon said it went well and that she went a bit higher than we had discussed to be sure. He now weighs 350g, down from 410 at his peak. and ~380 before his tail atrophied.

He is on .05 Ceftazidime injection every 72 hours and meloxicam liquid .04 oral, once per day.
Suture removal and follow up is scheduled for 3 weeks.

I'm super relieved, but still really nervous.

Thanks everyone for the expertise and support.

View attachment 88672
I am so glad hes ok- sounds like he got some good care -- here is hoping for a speedy recovery :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, Fin might be sleepy for a while but he should be up + around within a day as most b.d's are after a tail amp. surgery. We're all rooting for Fin and I'm sure he'll be O.K ! I know it's sressful though !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific Fin is home & resting! Poor boy, lost some of his tail is rough, but he should be fine.
Keep him well hydrated since he is on Ceftz right now. If you can, just keep him a little warmer overnigh
to help boost his immune system & help him heal.
Hopefully the anesthesia will wear off in a few days.

Tracie

jkratman

Original Poster
Thank you, Tracie! He was pretty zonked out this morning. he had made his way to his usual shaded sleeping spot, but had not woken up yet, an hour after the lights came on. I picked him up and moved him to his basking spot. He woke up when I moved him, but is now sleeping again.

jkratman

Original Poster
Hmmm. He is very groggy and for some reason, is keeping his left eye constantly shut. There wasnt anything wrong with his eyes previously? :-( I hope its just the anesthesia....

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, some of them take longer to come out of it. There have been a few beardies that had spays on the forum lately, and they recovered deifferently but even with that level of surgery [ huge cut in the abdomen and removel of large mass of egg follicles ] they were back to eating and moving around within days. One of them quit the meloxicam sooner than advised and resumed regular activity more quickly.

jkratman

Original Poster
Thanks. Yeah, I just gave him the meloxicam about an hour ago. He was not pleased lol.

I'll keep my eye on him, thanks, AHBD.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom