Help! Beardie twisting and always looking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
dvillar9301":3vjd3jo4 said:
I suggest you move him into a 30 gallon tank cuz he's gonna outgrow the 20 gallon in a month. ReptiSun 10.0 is the most preferred UVB light. Let the UVA light heat the tank up 10-12 hours a day and then turn it off to let him sleep. If you ever want to expose your beardie to natural sunlight, bring her outside with full contact and supervision the whole time. 10-15 minutes of sunlight = 12 hours of UVB. Hope I helped!

Just as a small input but, if when he is upgraded, I think that the minimum requirement (a 40 gallon breeder tank) would suffice, not a 30 gallon (otherwise you would be wasting money on getting another tank after the 30?).

Beardeddragon3, I wouldn't stress about upgrading until he is larger. My male started out in 10 gallon (unfortunately back when, Petstore sold me the same thing. I upgraded to a 40 breeder when he was 3 months old - my male and female are both in their own 75s now, as you will see why the 40 breeder is the MINIMUM =/) And yes, 10 gallons suck for all types of reptiles - while cricket catching can be easier, thermoregulation is more important and is poorly established in a small tank size. When you do upgrade (which you can do at any time), you can just section off parts of the tank for feeding time if you are stressed or worried that he will be unable to catch crickets or feed him an external source, like a tupperware or box =)

Beardeddragon3

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!! I'm such a newbie. :oops: :study: I'm still Learning! I'll probably move him soon. :blob8: And yes they have great personality! Freddie thinks he is king of the world. :mrgreen:

dvillar9301

Hatchling Member
GlueStick":2mev8lma said:
dvillar9301":2mev8lma said:
I suggest you move him into a 30 gallon tank cuz he's gonna outgrow the 20 gallon in a month. ReptiSun 10.0 is the most preferred UVB light. Let the UVA light heat the tank up 10-12 hours a day and then turn it off to let him sleep. If you ever want to expose your beardie to natural sunlight, bring her outside with full contact and supervision the whole time. 10-15 minutes of sunlight = 12 hours of UVB. Hope I helped!

Just as a small input but, if when he is upgraded, I think that the minimum requirement (a 40 gallon breeder tank) would suffice, not a 30 gallon (otherwise you would be wasting money on getting another tank after the 30?).

Beardeddragon3, I wouldn't stress about upgrading until he is larger. My male started out in 10 gallon (unfortunately back when, Petstore sold me the same thing. I upgraded to a 40 breeder when he was 3 months old - my male and female are both in their own 75s now, as you will see why the 40 breeder is the MINIMUM =/) And yes, 10 gallons suck for all types of reptiles - while cricket catching can be easier, thermoregulation is more important and is poorly established in a small tank size. When you do upgrade (which you can do at any time), you can just section off parts of the tank for feeding time if you are stressed or worried that he will be unable to catch crickets or feed him an external source, like a tupperware or box =)
The minimum size is 50 gallon. After buying a 30 gallon, I would wait for 6 months, sell the 10 gallon, raise up money for a 55-70 gallon tank, buy it and sell the 30 gallon. You work your way up and save money. Craigslist and EBay are easy places to sell stuff at

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
dvillar9301":3j3bah55 said:
The minimum size is 50 gallon. After buying a 30 gallon, I would wait for 6 months, sell the 10 gallon, raise up money for a 55-70 gallon tank, buy it and sell the 30 gallon. You work your way up and save money. Craigslist and EBay are easy places to sell stuff at

A 40 gallon breeder tank is the minimum. A 75 gallon is preferred as 55 gallons are too narrow for a lizard.
And its difficult to sell small tanks - thus the reason craigslist still has my 3 10 gallons and 29 sitting in my basement.

Beardeddragon3":3j3bah55 said:
Thanks everyone!! I'm such a newbie. :oops: :study: I'm still Learning! I'll probably move him soon. :blob8: And yes they have great personality! Freddie thinks he is king of the world. :mrgreen:

And you are very welcome! Let us know if you need anything else or have any questions - there are plenty of people here to help! You can never stop learning =)

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
ive had much different experience with glass tanks than some of you...maybe this room is too cold or something....i have a 55g (i hate it...too narrow, switching it out next weekend) but i have to heat it like crazy

i just got a 10g yesterday and i have a 25 degree temp gradient in it lol...i have a cool side thats 72 and hot side thats like 95...i just put a stronger bulb in today because i would like to get those temps up another 8 degrees or so...but thermoregulating should not be a problem at all in this 10g....as for a 10g being too small - my beardie appears to be 2-3 months old and has plenty of room in the 10...more room than adults have in a 40g...i figure ill leave it in the 10g until it looks cramped and then ill switch it to a 55g or have another 4x2x2 built like i have my adult going into

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
also, can't hurt to keep checking craigslist for a a 75 gal. I kept looking and that's where I got mine. Only paid $50 for it, but had to buy a screen top and all new equipment (light, ceramic heat emitter, longer UVB and the long thing you plug the UVB tube into, bigger log to climb, bigger water dish, bigger log, etc; etc; etc; so getting the tank for $50 was a big help. They are very heavy make sure you have sufficient help to move it, clean it and move it in your house where you want it. Even if you buy it before you actually need it, if you find a bargain one get it. they are expensive in the pet stores

dvillar9301

Hatchling Member
mistygirl":274zvmk1 said:
also, can't hurt to keep checking craigslist for a a 75 gal. I kept looking and that's where I got mine. Only paid $50 for it, but had to buy a screen top and all new equipment (light, ceramic heat emitter, longer UVB and the long thing you plug the UVB tube into, bigger log to climb, bigger water dish, bigger log, etc; etc; etc; so getting the tank for $50 was a big help. They are very heavy make sure you have sufficient help to move it, clean it and move it in your house where you want it. Even if you buy it before you actually need it, if you find a bargain one get it. they are expensive in the pet stores
Now thats what I call a deal! I saw a 20 gallon being sold on Craigslist for $50 -.-

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
I know it was a bargain! Guy was moving wanted to get rid of it. It was icky dirty, but I knew it was cleanable and I aired it for days after cleaning it. Still going strong 3 yrs later. Very, very heavy though. Have a place in mind for it because you won't be moving it around much. Clean it right where it is. :eek:

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Ignore that poster, he is spamming a ton of threads here and all of these have been reported (I know I clicked on a lot of them to report as I had a ton of email notifications)

vborja

I also have a 7 inch beardie that was having these symptoms. He was doing fine then the next day lost all balance and coordination and stargazed. he couldn't catch his crickets i had to hold them and force him. He would curl backwards his head almost touching his back. Took him to the vet and all she did was deworm him. Told me he looked like he may not be absorbing calcium but wasn't sure why he was having neurological symptoms. She said he might not survive but to increase his light to help him overcome it. Its been two weeks and he has improved ALOT. He can catch his crickets as before and his appetite has returned. He is even getting his little attitude :twisted: back hehe. He seems to have gotten his balance and coordination back almost normal. he is is still stargazing but not as much. Im not sure what caused this but he seems to have been fighting whatever it was and is getting better! :D
Im a newbie with reptiles so I was happy that he is pulling through. Anything to improve on?
CARE info:
*In a 10g tank have him in there since he is small and helps me control everything better. once he grows more and i have mastered everything im thinking ill get him a 40 gallon or maybe a 55 g if i can find a good one
* he gets ReptoCal with D3 everyday on his crickets (too much??)
*his warm spot is 105-110f and when its warm outside and sun is out i try and put him out there for 30 min but usually on weekends
*has a 10.0 uvb tube light and basking light bulb (not sure watt not at home atm)
*eats around 20 crickets just one and a half size up from pinheads a day and eats squash and carrots every other day or so
* humidity im having trouble with seems to be always on 40-60
* has a red night light that i sometimes use if i feel it would get to cold and i used to keep his temp up while he is sick
* the vet started his deworming process

A

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Vborja, it would be easiest to start your own thread so we can take a look at your setup. This doesn't cut into the Original Poster's thread as well.

Thanks.
Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing now, is he improving quite a bit on his balance?
I hope he has gotten better & is not flipping over now. It is usually a slow process for recovery though on calcium issues.
Is he eating pretty well too?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom