Help! Beardie twisting and always looking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardeddragon3

Original Poster
I took him off the UVB ( didn't get a new one yet) and he improved ALOT. :blob5: :D he is eating like a monster and is very active! I think the UVB was the problem. :blob8: Hm..the pet store said in a year to upgrade to a 20 gallon!!! Crazy.. I'm going to upgrade him when he's a little bigger..with Too much space might be hard for him to catch his crickets..thanks for everyone's help..I had no idea about the UVB..

Beardeddragon3

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
That's good to hear! Glad you cancelled that one out and it wasn't anything too serious.

and yes, a 20 gallon is certainly too small o_O

-Glue

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
My beardie won't eat crickets (only worms, beardie bites and greens) so I don't worry about her catching the crickets in too big an environment. (UGH crickets creep me out anyway so it is funny my little girl won't go near them actually runs from them. I have tried a couple of times in her development, just won't eat them, so I roll worms in the calcium+ powder. I have heard butternut squash is a thing they like, would it be raw? or cooked? She is a fussy eater doesn't eat a lot of her greens but loves her worms and beardie bites. I am glad your beardie is better, but get the UVB asap as they need it.

Beardeddragon3

Original Poster
Mine likes zucchini. Uncooked and shredded. Weird. I guess some beardies don't like them. She likes the pellets? Does she eat them? I might try those with mine.. :blob5:

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
the pellets, not so much, but she absolutely loves the beardie bites (they are moist little tiny cubes), you have to keep them in the fridge after opening, they come in a jar and are made by nature zone. They aren't always the easiest thing to find, but I usually order mine online from Drs. Foster & Smith if my repitle store doesn't have them (because they sell out as soon as they come in). If I run out, my baby gets the sad look so I try never to run out!! Originally they were to stimulate her appetite as she is an extremely fussy eater but I give her a little bit every day along with her other food (greens, worms). I just love my baby girl (she is 4 yrs old and full grown but on the small side).

dvillar9301

Hatchling Member
I suggest you move him into a 30 gallon tank cuz he's gonna outgrow the 20 gallon in a month. ReptiSun 10.0 is the most preferred UVB light. Let the UVA light heat the tank up 10-12 hours a day and then turn it off to let him sleep. If you ever want to expose your beardie to natural sunlight, bring her outside with full contact and supervision the whole time. 10-15 minutes of sunlight = 12 hours of UVB. Hope I helped!

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Beardeddragon3":3q6z45dx said:
Never heard of beardie bites. Maybe my beardie will like them? He's five months. Are they for adults? :blob8:

They make them for adults but have now come out with juvenille bearded dragon bites. They sell them at Petsmart in a rectangular box =) I sometimes mix them into their greens. My male likes them and my females LOVES them. Just make sure you keep them in the refrigerator after opening them and they can last for a couple of weeks.

Beardeddragon3

Original Poster
dvillar9301":cy3plcbd said:
I suggest you move him into a 30 gallon tank cuz he's gonna outgrow the 20 gallon in a month. ReptiSun 10.0 is the most preferred UVB light. Let the UVA light heat the tank up 10-12 hours a day and then turn it off to let him sleep. If you ever want to expose your beardie to natural sunlight, bring her outside with full contact and supervision the whole time. 10-15 minutes of sunlight = 12 hours of UVB. Hope I helped!

He's in a ten right now. Won't it be hard for him to catch his crickets?

Beardeddragon3

Original Poster
GlueStick":1i6e2srt said:
Beardeddragon3":1i6e2srt said:
Never heard of beardie bites. Maybe my beardie will like them? He's five months. Are they for adults? :blob8:

They make them for adults but have now come out with juvenille bearded dragon bites. They sell them at Petsmart in a rectangular box =) I sometimes mix them into their greens. My male likes them and my females LOVES them. Just make sure you keep them in the refrigerator after opening them and they can last for a couple of weeks.
Thanks I'll look into them. :idea:

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
yes they now make the juvenile ones which are smaller. I have bought the box if the jar is unavailable it is much smaller to try them to see. My beardie is female. LOVES them! If you can't find them in any stores around you, drs.foster and smith are a good resource. Ship fast. Never had a problem with them.

dvillar9301

Hatchling Member
Beardeddragon3":11esef3z said:
dvillar9301":11esef3z said:

He's in a ten right now. Won't it be hard for him to catch his crickets?

No. It won't be hard at all. It's only 2 feet of space all around lol plus, they need space to roam around in. To be enclosed in a tight spot for too long brings a lot of stress to us. Some ppl even develop claustrophobia. So imagine how our reptiles feel! That type of stress is VERY unhealthy for them. It's like leaving a 4 year old in a crib. He needs room for his healthy needs.

dvillar9301

Hatchling Member
And even if he has trouble catching crickets, it's only gonna make him wiser when it comes to hunting :] and by the end of the day he'll have all the crickets in his tummy :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom