For those of you who have various species...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cappy

How do you compare your beardies temperament to them? More friendly or intelligent? Or do you consider others like leos to have better all around nature as a pet? Thanks.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Dragons are far the friendliest and most intelligent reptile I've kept. I've had leos, cresties, uros, blue tongue skinks, sand geckos and various newts/salamanders.
Other species I've seen that have been super tame like dragons where a pair of banded uros and a beaded lizard. The uros were very mellow and quite comical. The beaded is a venomous reptile so not something most people should own but the one my aunt had was super tame and would walk around her house just checking things out.

cappy

Original Poster
Thanks so much for answering my question. But in particular what is your opinion of the leos? Ive kind of been deciding between them and beardies!

Gail

BD.org Addict
I quite disliked my leos. They are really easy to care for and much cheaper but aren't so great for handling. Mine were skittish and since they are nocturnal, I never seen them during the day. I want a reptile that can hang out with me, go on car rides and sit in the yard. Leos definitely wouldn't like that and they are more delicate. All in all, a boring species in my opinion.

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
cappy":5aobe7xd said:
I think a beardie will ne best for me.

But will you be the best for a Beardie? :) Make sure you do lots of research. Have everything purchased and setup/tested before getting the Beardie too. Everything you need to know is on this website somewhere and feel free to ask questions. You will also need to make sure you have money to feed him/her, especially if you decide to get a bay, they eat a lot. You should also have money set aside for a vet visit if he/she ever got sick. We are more then happy to help make sure the Beardie you get is well taken care of and all his/her needs are met.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
As far as lizards go, the 2 tamest and most personality ones are my beardie, Harley and my Nile Monitor, Spot. My Nile would soak in the bath tub under the bathroom heat lamps for like an hour(refreshing the warm water) and then loved to walk around my apartment. Of course if he didn't know you, that all went out the window. He would raise up, hiss and whip his tail but once he knew you, he was like a puppy. Harley is just a cuddler, she loves to sit on me and go to sleep or just cuddle under my neck. Of course in her cage, she is a terror and runs all over and jumps off her log and stack of bricks and glass dances. And if you don't pay attention, she will sit on her hammock that is in the front of the cage and just stare at you. :lol: On the opposite end, I had a 4 ft iguana and those things are pure evil haha. It tolerated petting but getting it out of the cage was like a wrestling match :p My red tail boa and ball python were very mellow too.

And yeah definitely make sure you got the cash to feed the beardies. Out of all the reptiles and amphibians I've had over the years, Harley the beardie eats more than anything other than Spot the Nile Monitor who was just a mobile rat trap :lol:

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I have 2 beardies, three leos, and a true fire skink.

Beardies:
Jace and Zy are great. Always sweet and ready for a cuddle. Sometimes, when they don't want to cuddle, they will get away. Beardies know very much what they want and if what they want isn't what you want, guess which one of us is going to get what they want? :lol: I never had a serious problem with my beardies except for when I first got Jace. He was going through his adolescence phase, but luckily I nipped it in the bud before it became a huge problem. He did try to bite me and hiss.

Leopard Gecko:
What I like about leopard geckos is that, at first, they are very skittish. But with time and patience, they are more than willing to chill on your shoulder and watch television to you. A good bit of people own both leos and beardies for the fact that when the beardies are going to bed, the leos are waking up. They also don't go through brumation. So, while your beardie is passed out and sleeping and not wanting to be handled, you have your little leo pal. You just have to put a little more work into them than you would with your beardie to tame them.

True Fire Skink:
I love my little girl. She's up during the days as well, but you almost never see them. They hide in a loose substrate so you have to go digging to take her out. She requires constant handling to keep her tame and as soon as you stop, she will go wild again. She's a little sweetie and very easy and low maintenance to take care of.

cappy

Original Poster
Thanks so much guys! I have considered cost etc. and I have done research in the past and will be doing some more soon. If I do get one it will be a craigslist baby. Thanks again.

cappy

Original Poster
Sorry forgot to add this. If you are able to put the time into a Leo will they become as social as a beardie?

zandi202

BD.org Addict
For my oldest leo, Ava, we have had the most work with and she's sweet and calm. Koth we got Wednesday so he's still timid and Sarkhan is getting there. He used to scream at us but now allows me to pick him up. They're fast little buggers when they're little and untame.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Well are you in school? A leo would be easier because they aren't as time consuming as a beardie is. Chances are that if it's a CL leo it will be on the older side ans probably more handable than a baby leo. Just a thought. Hope it helps

beardieparents7780

Hatchling Member
I have beardies,monitors, uro,turtles and python. I'd have to say my dragons seek my attention with my uro coming in second. Beardies and uro are smart but my 3 monitors are pretty smart as well. Takes more time with the monitors to develop a good relationship but when you do it's great. I guess just understanding and knowing your reptiles plays a big role in it. Idk I guess I could say I love them all and really couldn't pick one over the other. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom