early tail rot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
trying to decide if my dragon maybe has some tail rot going. he just shed his tail last week. the dark part on his tail has been there for a few months. Anybody who has delt with this your input would be nice to hear.
photobucket-2542-1343247769951.jpg

photobucket-5981-1343247740219.jpg

photobucket-6179-1343247726812.jpg

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Just had my geico to the vet this morning for a tail injury that had a bit of tail rot on the very tip which was removed along with some necrotic tissue under his tail where the wound was..before his injury his tail looked much like your beardies tail which was normal according to my vet that saw him for worms on the 9th of July. With Geicos being an injury it set in fast...his tail tip became very cold <more than normal> and jet black, there was no flexiblity to it at all and it was almost rock hard. So IMO that is a normal looking tail based on Geico's before his injury and what the vet said on the 9th.

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
update:
so about from the tip of his tail going up about a inch and a half turned jet black a day or two after this post. i left it alone for about a week to make sure it was no gonna shed off on it's own...... and it did not of course. after hours of research and worry i came to understand it is incomplete shed( which can turn into tail rot if not delt with).
so i have been soaking him every day and lightly scrubing the black area with a vary soft toothbrush and it is starting to shed off :blob5: .
during my research :study: on incomplete shed i learned that to low humidity will cause this to happen. which makes since cause i had humidity issues with the viv he WAS in. even with a water bowl and a fan blowin across it i could only get his humidity up to 19 or 20%.
he is now back in his 40 breeder and the humidity is good and his tail getting beter but i now have a custom viv i cant use :roll:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Tom, you can still use your custom viv, just spray the beardie in the viv a couple times a day. That will definitely get the humidity up, especially if you spray his baknig log , too.

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1lc3onv8 said:
Hi Tom, you can still use your custom viv, just spray the beardie in the viv a couple times a day. That will definitely get the humidity up, especially if you spray his baknig log , too.
yeah i'm not gonna trash the custom viv just yet i put to much into it lol. i was having some other problems with it aswell. it was taking 3 1/2 4 hours for my day time temps and basking temp to get up to where they should be and then around the 6 hour mark the temps would spike way to high. gonna remodel it so to speaklol.... i will keep the misting in mind thx!

Your beardies tail looks fine. Its normal for the ends of thier tails to be a darker color, they are alot like iguanas in that way. As a newbie I also beleived the black tail could have been the start of early tail rot and I took my beardie to the vet (who is a great herp vet in my area and has been working with lizards for a long time) and he asured me that the darker end of the tail was normal. So I would not worry about the tail. If the darker color begun to work its way up the tail then I would look into it but yours looks perfectly normal. :)

After I went back and looked I saw where you talked about the incomplete shed. Take care of that cuz it could def lead to tail rot. But as long as you take care of it it should be ok. They make products for lizards to help with shedding and I've heard that you can use mineral oil.

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I wish I would have took a pic of it at the worse. I'm able to loosen some every day so his on the mend

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
Hi,

Hige's tail looks very similar. My exotics-vet friend said it doesn't look like anything more than bad circulation which beardie tails are apparently prone too. When i rub the area his tail gets darker it lightens up. Hige has a old tail nibble on the tip that i keep an eye on and im bathing every other day and rubbing all of it gently etc and it seems to be improving! (he has a ridiculously long tail!) Pics:

tumblr_m8cqo0ZWFC1qdzuh1o3_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m8cqo0ZWFC1qdzuh1o2_1280.jpg

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
RA'S tail was completely black from tip to almost 2" up. When I say black I don't mean dark I'm mean black lol. If was also starting to round over at the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom