Temporarily Dark Tail?

ms4sman

Beardie name(s)
Ripley
OK this is a bit odd. So I was giving Ripley a bath just now (he's around 3 months old is my best guess, for reference) to help with his feet that started to shed today.

While he was splashing around, I suddenly noticed that about half of his tail looked VERY dark which I'd not noticed before. I looked at the last pictures I had of him which was about 3 days ago and his tail looked normal there.

I immediately started to worry about tail rot, but I wasn't sure if it could appear and spread to half of his tail that fast. His tail doesn't seem stiff at all and the skin/scales in that part don't look damaged like in some of the pictures I found of tail rot. But the dark half of the tail looked just like some of the more "zoomed out" photos I'd seen.

He's had a good appetite lately, and has been pretty docile (he's a bit fiesty all he time, and I'm working on getting him ok with being held and he's done well) but suddenly yesterday he was VERY grouchy and fought and bit me when I tried to handle him. I had thought his head and legs looked like they might shed soon, so I chalked it up to that. Today, his legs started to shed so I gave him a bath to help, and noticed the tail during the bath.

But here's the weird part! I took him out of the bath and dried him and put him back under his heat lamp and did some reading on tail rot, and a few minutes later when I looked again, his tail looks almost normal again now. Nowhere NEAR as dark as it was in the bath and right after I took him out.

Is it possible for their tail to change color similar to their beards and bellies? His beard and belly weren't dark really during the bath...I have no clue what just happened. Should I still be worried about tail rot? Or did perhaps being in the water somehow change the color temporarily?

I'll attach a pic of the tail when it was dark (the one in the sink) and another one of it now (the one in the hammock), looking basically normal again. Note that the one where it looks lighter and normal is AFTER the dark one!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20230628_140550_01.jpg
    IMG_20230628_140550_01.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20230628_192919198.jpg
    PXL_20230628_192919198.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 56

ms4sman

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ripley
Oh and for added context, he's not had any injury to his tail that I'm aware of or anything else that would cause tail rot.

His tail shed maybe a week and a half ago or so, and all of it came off as far as I could tell, so there shouldn't be any stuck shed or anything like that...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oh and for added context, he's not had any injury to his tail that I'm aware of or anything else that would cause tail rot.

His tail shed maybe a week and a half ago or so, and all of it came off as far as I could tell, so there shouldn't be any stuck shed or anything like that...
Tails get dark when wet

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
and they definitely change colors like their beards or bellies. totally normal and nothing to worry about.

ms4sman

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ripley
OK thanks guys! I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring a potential problem until it gets worse.

Sounds like all is well. Thank you!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They will darken up for numerous reasons, cold, stressed excited, just because they can ...... you get the idea.
Tail rot is only going to happen from an injury or living in filth. It will also be chronic and take time to spread.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom