do these have protien

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
i feed the sheddings from the crickets to my beardie. is there any protien or even the slightest nutrients in the cricket sheddings

vampy

Juvie Member
No.

The outsides of the cricket are made from chitin, which, even if your beardie could digest it fully, would yield very little nutrition at all.

Throw the shed skins away in future, you've no idea how long they've been there, and they could be covered in cricket poop. There is no reason whatsoever to feed them to him.

arman

its not like im gonna do this but what about giving crickets the dragon shed? is there any point of that?

Mustashio

Juvie Member
I heard it is healthy for dragons to eat their OWN shed skin. Lots of nutrients actually. But I wouldn't suggest dragons eat cricket shed. Ewe!

really? where did u hear this from?

I know some reptiles(geckos) eat it because its high in calcium but Ive never heard of bearded dragons having the same

esn

Hatchling Member
Most reptiles have been caught in the act of eating shed skin... I've even heard of some snakes doing it (Corns, garters). They must do it for some reason, probably a need for extra nutrients, but it's so rare in some species I'm not surprised most people haven't observed it. But definitely not a good thing to feed cricket sheds! That's an entirely different kind of shedding, molting the exoskeleton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom