Concerning urate

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
1696965400002.jpeg

I know I’ve been all “urate this! Urate that!” But does this not look the slightest bit concerning? I mean, look at it? It’s all shrivelled and pink (he doesn’t have any pink, red, or orange foods in his diet.)

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
How often are you feeding supplements and what are they ?
Calcium without D3 4x a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) once a day, calcium with D3 1x a week (Monday) once a day, multivitamin 2x a week (Saturday, Sunday) once a day as well.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Calcium without D3 4x a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) once a day, calcium with D3 1x a week (Monday) once a day, multivitamin 2x a week (Saturday, Sunday) once a day as well.
Is he a good salad eater? If he is I would cut out the vitamins - hes going to get those thru his salads- the calcium D3 I would cut out for now and cut back on the calcium w/ out to 2 times per week for a feeding of insects 2-3 times per week - watch the poops and see if you see any change-- your UVB is a T5 bulb?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Is he a good salad eater? If he is I would cut out the vitamins - hes going to get those thru his salads- the calcium D3 I would cut out for now and cut back on the calcium w/ out to 2 times per week for a feeding of insects 2-3 times per week - watch the poops and see if you see any change-- your UVB is a T5 bulb?
Okay, I’ll stop with the D3. Why the calcium, though? One of the nutrients found in the exoskeletons if most insects includes some phosphorus so wouldn’t that be feeding him plain phosphorus without the nutrients to balance his ratio? And to take into consideration that he was grown much faster than he would have in the wild, that ratio will be higher. I don’t think I’ll cut back days that I feed him but I am feeding him a lower count of insects once a day. He eats 15 crickets, he eats 10 small pheonix worms, and 2-3 superworms two or three times a week. He’s okay with salad, I wouldn’t say amazing though. He eats it some days but not the others. I’ve been monitoring his weight and he isn’t in the slightest overweight. Here is a picture of his body condition today, after a poop:
1696971018231.jpeg

he weighs 421 grams
And yes, it’s a T5 fixture

Attachments

• 1696970869017.jpeg
    1696970869017.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Okay, I’ll stop with the D3. Why the calcium, though? One of the nutrients found in the exoskeletons if most insects includes some phosphorus so wouldn’t that be feeding him plain phosphorus without the nutrients to balance his ratio? And to take into consideration that he was grown much faster than he would have in the wild, that ratio will be higher. I don’t think I’ll cut back days that I feed him but I am feeding him a lower count of insects once a day. He eats 15 crickets, he eats 10 small pheonix worms, and 2-3 superworms two or three times a week. He’s okay with salad, I wouldn’t say amazing though. He eats it some days but not the others. I’ve been monitoring his weight and he isn’t in the slightest overweight. Here is a picture of his body condition today, after a poop: View attachment 84593
he weighs 421 grams
And yes, it’s a T5 fixture
Cut the calcium intake for now - watch the poops see what it does- is this all the time poop your getting or first time?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Cut the calcium intake for now - watch the poops see what it does- is this all the time poop you’re getting or first time?
He’s been having some diarrhea for the past little while, it looks like it is finally clearing up. I was misting his salads every day which I assume overhydrated him, his urates look similar to that about 30-40% of the time. It fluctuates between white and pink, it’s never looked shrivelled before though.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom