diet concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

javier

My bearded dragon will eat some greens,a cricket or 2 (his apetite varies from 2 -8) but will not eat a bearded dragon pellet for anything. :|

Gail

BD.org Addict
A lot of dragons won't eat the pellets and thats not really a bad thing, the best diet os live bugs and greens. He should be eating more crickets though, can you give us a detailed run down of your care? including age, size, heating & UVB.

javier

Original Poster
i got him a mesh cage at first,put a small tree in it,as well as a heat rock.We were putting in 10+ crickets dusted with calcium powder a day,and he would eat them all,we also tried mealworms,but we stopped because we read on here that we shouldn't.We put lettus in the food dish,as well as carrots.We have stopped the lettus,and put in canned green beans.We just got a zilla uv light,and a clamp lamp(I use a regular basking bulb in the day,and a red one at night).We also bought a log,and an artificial rock.Finally,it is 95 degrees on the warm side,and 76 on the cool side.I put in a stuffed animal in the cool side.He has shed once,and is about a month old,as well as 4 inches long.I handle him at least once a day

Gail

BD.org Addict
There are many, many things you need to correct in your set up. First off, if he is still in a mesh cage then get him in a glass one, a 20 gallon long will be ok for awhile. The heat rock is garbage, get rid of it and get a regular basking light, dragons need bright light from above to bask under. The zilla UVB will cause more problems then its worth, you really need a repti SUN 10.0.
Lastly is the diet, the crickets are good but you need to feed him as many as he wants 2-3 times a day, this will often range to 50 or more. Lettuce has no nutritional value, instead try endive, escrole, mustard greens or collards.

javier

Original Poster
He only eats 10.Is that bad?thanx for telling me about the uv light,I will switch that out,and get a reptisun.I have a "clamp lamp" and as I said I switch the bulb from white to red (white all day,red all night),but are u sure about the glass cage?He loves to climb it,but I do have trouble with the humidity,I would hate to replace it,because glass cages are expensive.

Gail

BD.org Addict
You will need a large cage once he is adult, a glass aquarium or hand made wooden cage is best. Mesh cages just don't hold heat good enough for a bearded dragon. Yes a big cage is going to be expensive, everything about own a large reptile is expensive.
10 crickets a day is no where near enough for a dragon to grown and be healthy, if he isn't eating more then that I would thinks its due to the temps/UVB not being correct and no, the uvb drops are worthless.

javier

Original Poster
Thanks for the help,although I regret having to replace the cage,I will do it.I did have one last question.Can I take him to a regular vet?Or should I take him to a special vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom