Damprid Cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
We used to have damprids in ohr beardie room to dehumidfy it. I read they can cause cancer, and just removed them. My little guy has been in there with them for months though. What are signs he may have cancer? Or am I worrying too much?

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":8jv63kqy said:
What is the level of relative humidity in the dragon's tank now ?

About 35 percent. Im worried about the cancer though, not the humidity.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
reiddragons":1jkx3gub said:
We used to have damprids in ohr beardie room to dehumidfy it. I read they can cause cancer, and just removed them. My little guy has been in there with them for months though. What are signs he may have cancer? Or am I worrying too much?
IMO, you're worrying too much, especially if the damprids were just in the room, and not in the enclosure.

Safety of Damprid
By Meadow Milano

DampRid is a household product that prevents mold and mildew development by absorbing excess moisture in the air. The active ingredient in DampRid, calcium chloride, is considered nontoxic and does not emit noxious gases or fumes.

Effects

DampRid can cause skin and minor respiratory irritation. There is no stated information in the Material Data Safety Sheet indicating that the ingredients in DampRid are carcinogenic or cancer-causing. In addition, there are no known chronic health effects caused by DampRid.
I'm somewhat familiar with calcium chloride from a former life (career). It's only a problem if it comes in contact with skin or the dust is breathed in. In a sealed container, there should be no problems.

I can't find anything credible regarding it being carcinogenic. Got a source?
For more, see: damprid toxicity

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
From the above link:
Carcinogenicity:
_____CAS# 10035-04-8: Not listed by ACGIH, IARC, NTP, or CA Proposition 65.
If it didn't make Prop 65's list, I'd sleep soundly that it's not carcinogenic. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've used Damprid in my house (still do in the shower room) and haven't noticed any issues. No fumes or dust etc. I wouldn't worry unless it's ingested or comes in prolonged contact with skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom