beardie semi brumination?

beardie is poss 5/6 y this summer had his leg amputated due to cancer, has been very inactive since(although always been lazy) and loss of appetite (although never been big eater) even with morri worms. He seems to be maintaining his weight and after several more vet visits and test, he seems healthy, is he in semi brumination? is he depressed? should I be worried? He does usually behave similar to this at this time of year but it has started earlier and is more extreme than usual.
He still chooses to bask most of the time but occasionally if the temp in tank rises he will choose to lay on floor of tank, he used to come out of tank and find a cold dark place to sleep(even in summer) but since opp has only brought himself out 2/3 times.
He seems to be dehydrated (skin little wrinkled at times) so we have been bathing him every 2/3 days and he sometimes will drink when we drip onto his mouth, he is not pooing very often (even when he has had food in consecutive days), I have been massaging his belly trying to encourage pooing (whilst in water) which sometimes helps, when he does go, it seems fine and normal, I worry if he the food stays in him, will it start to rot and cause problems?

luckily we had insurance for vet but this has now reached its limit and as last lot of test were fine (faecal and bloods) can't afford to spend more and have them show nothing.
vet told us to not let him bruminate when I asked her about it, she said he doesn't need to, he has never gone full but does sleep a lot of the day, doesn't seem interested in us and just seems to want to be left alone.
please advise
Thanks

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Can you post a picture of your dragon?
If he drinks from the baths, it's okey but otherwise I wouldn't do it too often.
Food won't rot in his belly as long as you provide him a basking spot that is the correct temperature. You said he basks most of the time, right?!
Also it's kind of slow down season for bearded dragons and it's normal for them to not want to eat too much right now and be a bit lazy. They are animals and not robots so the time they choose to brumate might vary a bit from time to time...
About the impact of his surgery I can not contribute any knowledge, I'm afraid :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
beardie is poss 5/6 y this summer had his leg amputated due to cancer, has been very inactive since(although always been lazy) and loss of appetite (although never been big eater) even with morri worms. He seems to be maintaining his weight and after several more vet visits and test, he seems healthy, is he in semi brumination? is he depressed? should I be worried? He does usually behave similar to this at this time of year but it has started earlier and is more extreme than usual.
He still chooses to bask most of the time but occasionally if the temp in tank rises he will choose to lay on floor of tank, he used to come out of tank and find a cold dark place to sleep(even in summer) but since opp has only brought himself out 2/3 times.
He seems to be dehydrated (skin little wrinkled at times) so we have been bathing him every 2/3 days and he sometimes will drink when we drip onto his mouth, he is not pooing very often (even when he has had food in consecutive days), I have been massaging his belly trying to encourage pooing (whilst in water) which sometimes helps, when he does go, it seems fine and normal, I worry if he the food stays in him, will it start to rot and cause problems?

luckily we had insurance for vet but this has now reached its limit and as last lot of test were fine (faecal and bloods) can't afford to spend more and have them show nothing.
vet told us to not let him bruminate when I asked her about it, she said he doesn't need to, he has never gone full but does sleep a lot of the day, doesn't seem interested in us and just seems to want to be left alone.
please advise
Thanks
Please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them-- NO stickons they are inaccurate - UVB long tube or a coil and how old is the UVB?

mother of dragons

Original Poster
Can you post a picture of your dragon?
If he drinks from the baths, it's okey but otherwise I wouldn't do it too often.
Food won't rot in his belly as long as you provide him a basking spot that is the correct temperature. You said he basks most of the time, right?!
Also it's kind of slow down season for bearded dragons and it's normal for them to not want to eat too much right now and be a bit lazy. They are animals and not robots so the time they choose to brumate might vary a bit from time to time...
About the impact of his surgery I can not contribute any knowledge, I'm afraid :(
thanks for reply, yes he basks most of the time, he seems to be wanting to drink water more often than usual, he has now started to drink as we offer it via a syringe (dripping slowly on to his mouth) he will then start licking it off. If he doesn't start to lick after a few drip we assume he doesn't want it and stop. I had a thought about why he may be wanting more water lately, in the summer he comes out of tank, usually sits in garden with us in sun or in conservatory for a while, so he is not under such direct heat, at the moment he is spending nearly all day under bask lamp so maybe he does need more liquid? I assume, if he is willingly drinking then he is needing the fluids?
Will post pic soon

mother of dragons

Original Poster
Please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them-- NO stickons they are inaccurate - UVB long tube or a coil and how old is the UVB?
thanks for reply, basking temp ranges from 34-38, but when it goes over 34, he often doesn't like it and chooses to come away and cool off. thermometer is not stick on, not sure what type it is though. UVB long tube and got new one 2 months ago

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
If he drinks he is thirsty if not he's not so that is good.
Does the thermometer have a probe?
Something that is often overlooked is the general brightness of the light. Sometimes the UV and heat lights don't put out a lot of lumens to light up the tank and you might want to add some LEDs for that.
But other than that....it's slowdown season so there might not even be anything wrong as long as his weight stays consistent.

My boy eats some salads maybe twice a week and hasn't touched bugs in almost a month now. He barely basks but is awake during the day, just not moving much and gets sleepy in the early afternoons. He was 350g in the end of September and 349g yesterday.
Just for context ;)

mother of dragons

Original Poster
If he drinks he is thirsty if not he's not so that is good.
Does the thermometer have a probe?
Something that is often overlooked is the general brightness of the light. Sometimes the UV and heat lights don't put out a lot of lumens to light up the tank and you might want to add some LEDs for that.
But other than that....it's slowdown season so there might not even be anything wrong as long as his weight stays consistent.

My boy eats some salads maybe twice a week and hasn't touched bugs in almost a month now. He barely basks but is awake during the day, just not moving much and gets sleepy in the early afternoons. He was 350g in the end of September and 349g yesterday.
Just for context ;)
we rehomed mine and he has never been a big eater and always been very picky with his eating bugs and veg, he only really likes morri worms, have tried him on on meal worms and crickets but hardly touches them, keep trying different fruit and veg, sometimes he will have a little but it's very difficult to get him to eat them.
also mine has never been very active, not sure if that and his eating is because of poor housing/care before we got him or if thats just him. I see dragons on facebook, and they are very active and eat loads (even veg)
think it's bright enough in tank, but will look into if extra lighting will help. he is very long, I weighed him 2 days ago ..626g, think he is a good weight for his size, he hasn't lost any (the little he lost after leg amp, he put on by us offering him extra morri worms than usual in the summer) will keep check on his weight to be sure not loosing a lot.
he did eat 1 morri worm yesterday and looked like he wanted the next one offered but it quickly fell off his log on to floor and then he wouldn't touch it, even though I replaced with a different one. He does this, if he is keen on eating something but it falls on the floor, he then won't touch it or a fresh piece of what ever it is.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
At 626 grams what is his length ? Don't worry if he's not eating much, as you see his weight has been stable and yes it would be good to get him to eat greens.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom