belly fluid and white spot on liver shows on ultrasound

rubymiss

Just back from Vet knowing that my 3.5 yo bearded dragon Chiao have a little fatty liver(under ultrasound), belly fluid analysis showed red and cloudy liquid but no clear evidence of infection or of a neoplastic process in this sample. and vet saw something white on the liver through ultrasound .They suggest me to do biopsy and by the way drain the belly fluid.
20221009_125246.jpg

I have financially consideration so I cant give her biopsy till couple months later(it need $1,500 ).
Before I get enough money to do biopsy, I wonder is there other options to lower the belly fluid? and is fatty liver reversable and how? I am nervous about the white spot on the liver hope its not cancer cause she is still young. (pic: Chiao swim in the water) Thanks a lot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just back from Vet knowing that my 3.5 yo bearded dragon Chiao have a little fatty liver(under ultrasound), belly fluid analysis showed red and cloudy liquid but no clear evidence of infection or of a neoplastic process in this sample. and vet saw something white on the liver through ultrasound .They suggest me to do biopsy and by the way drain the belly fluid. View attachment 74822
I have financially consideration so I cant give her biopsy till couple months later(it need $1,500 ).
Before I get enough money to do biopsy, I wonder is there other options to lower the belly fluid? and is fatty liver reversable and how? I am nervous about the white spot on the liver hope its not cancer cause she is still young. (pic: Chiao swim in the water) Thanks a lot
Please post the X-rays and blood work - we can Tracie our vet tech mod look-- she's good at reading this stuff @Drache613

rubymiss

Original Poster
cbc.jpg

Please post the X-rays and blood work - we can Tracie our vet tech mod look-- she's good at reading this stuff @Drache613
Hi KarrieRee
Attached is the blood work, Chiao didnt get Xray, she only had ultrasound... Her tank 91cmX45cm, basking spot 35C(if temp get higher she would run away from it), cool side 29C, tank door is opened so she can poop out side the tank. I serve greens every day, but she hates greens so only eat couple bites, I sprinkle some apple juice on greens to increase appetite or bee pollen, crickets dusted in calcium and vitamin powder once a week, she eats around 25-30 crickets a time, she eats fig often. she is outside in the sun at least 30 min a day, and I drip liquid calcium in water to hydrate her every other day. she does not really look sick, she does has some fluid in belly, she wants go to brumation due to weather change but I am hestitate should I let her go or not, and I dont know the figs and apple juice on the greens would cause fatty liver or not. Thanks

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
View attachment 74846

Hi KarrieRee
Attached is the blood work, Chiao didnt get Xray, she only had ultrasound... Her tank 91cmX45cm, basking spot 35C(if temp get higher she would run away from it), cool side 29C, tank door is opened so she can poop out side the tank. I serve greens every day, but she hates greens so only eat couple bites, I sprinkle some apple juice on greens to increase appetite or bee pollen, crickets dusted in calcium and vitamin powder once a week, she eats around 25-30 crickets a time, she eats fig often. she is outside in the sun at least 30 min a day, and I drip liquid calcium in water to hydrate her every other day. she does not really look sick, she does has some fluid in belly, she wants go to brumation due to weather change but I am hestitate should I let her go or not, and I dont know the figs and apple juice on the greens would cause fatty liver or not. Thanks
Tracie could definitely give some good advice on this. My late girl taro had fatty liver, I believe Tracie recommended milk thistle to help, which my vet backed also. Liver disease can be reversed, thankfully

How often do you feed bugs? 25+ crickets in a sitting sounds like a lot for an adult, it might be worthwhile to cut back a little..?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 74846

Hi KarrieRee
35C is good for basking --- I need the rest of your dimensions for tank how tall is the tank? I would use the bee pollen - apple juice has a lot of sugar in it -- fig often I would feed occasionally-- we need Tracie to look at this I am flagging to her
@Drache613

rubymiss

Original Poster
Tracie could definitely give some good advice on this. My late girl taro had fatty liver, I believe Tracie recommended milk thistle to help, which my vet backed also. Liver disease can be reversed, thankfully

How often do you feed bugs? 25+ crickets in a sitting sounds like a lot for an adult, it might be worthwhile to cut back a little..?
Hi, where I can buy milk thistle for reptiles, I want to try! Should I split the amount of cricket into several days like 5 every other day? Thnx

rubymiss

Original Poster
35C is good for basking --- I need the rest of your dimensions for tank how tall is the tank? I would use the bee pollen - apple juice has a lot of sugar in it -- fig often I would feed occasionally-- we need Tracie to look at this I am flagging to her
@Drache613
Tank high is 32 cm with screen on top. Solarmeter has UVB around 3-4.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
I just order a liquid milk thistle...cant wait to give it a try, thanks a lot!
im sure it will help- You can DM her when it arrives to help you with dosing as well =)

As for the bugs, I wouldn't do more than 12-14 large crickets twice a week personally, or 6-8 large roaches twice a week instead- however if you suddenly cut down all at once now it might be too much of a shock to the system- so maybe just cut down slowly ie: 20 crickets one week then 17 then 15 so on... slowly reduce the amount of days once the number has also reduced. Rmbr its mostly salads with just 20% bugs in adulthood =)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom