compact Top fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcbova85

I finally took back my whole esu slimline. i was tired of going the cheap and wrong route. so i bought a 10.0 coil light that goes in the compact top. and its finally all right :D

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
the coil light unfortunately, is still the wrong road. you need a reptisun 10.0 tube, a reptiglo 8.0 tube, or an mvb

Lcbova85

Original Poster
the people i talked to said there is no real difference between a tube and a coil, as long as it was still a reptisun 10.0 and nothing less.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Lcbova85":33c33 said:
the people i talked to said there is no real difference between a tube and a coil, as long as it was still a reptisun 10.0 and nothing less.

Second what GoFast suggested. Oh, I'm so sorry you've been pointed in another wrong direction. When it comes to UVB, AVOID ALL COILS AND COMPACTS. Here is a link...

[ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=65424 f=1 ]

I've been down this road of UVB trial and error myself, and it's not a fun one... but I've learned, there is NO substitute for quality UVB. Coils are KNOWN to be very hazardous for reptiles, causing anything from lack of appetite, slow/stunted growth, eye issues, radiation poisoning, and worse. *sigh*

A good quality ReptiSun 10.0 tube can be found CHEAP, here: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html

The best,
Em

PeekABoo

They are right. There are plenty of compact bulbs that are bad for your beardies, but if you read the whole report they contacted ZooMed(Reptisun) and the company with the Zilla Desert 50 bulbs and the companies made changes according to the facts and made more detailed instructions. This report is dated by a couple years now. Based on the companies letters it should be safe(if you carefully follow the instructions) to use one of these two bulbs. If you go to the lin mentioned earlier I suggest you go to the summary and read the company responses. Zoo Med replaced bulbs for people who had problems and the Zilla Desert Bulbs were pulled off the shelves until they found out the proper outputs. This is what I gathered from the report. Just another beardie slave,

Melissa.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
PeekABoo":16cf2 said:
They are right. There are plenty of compact bulbs that are bad for your beardies, but if you read the whole report they contacted ZooMed(Reptisun) and the company with the Zilla Desert 50 bulbs and the companies made changes according to the facts and made more detailed instructions. This report is dated by a couple years now. Based on the companies letters it should be safe(if you carefully follow the instructions) to use one of these two bulbs. If you go to the lin mentioned earlier I suggest you go to the summary and read the company responses. Zoo Med replaced bulbs for people who had problems and the Zilla Desert Bulbs were pulled off the shelves until they found out the proper outputs. This is what I gathered from the report. Just another beardie slave,

Melissa.

I have recently (within the last 5-6 months) used a Zilla Desert 50 Compact and it was a harrowing experience for our beardie (she's is now thriving under her TRex MVB, but is WAY behind in growth).

How long ago were the supposed changes to have taken place, do you happen to know? :?: The moderators and long experienced here on the site caution against using any coil or compact bulbs, and in my recent experience, I'm inclined to agree. Just not worth the risk.

That said, I believe Tracie (moderator, Drache613) recently mentioned that she's inquired about when a newer study will be coming out, and was told that they are working on it, however have been terribly overwhelmed/busy. Hopefully, we'll see an update soon. :)

Thanks,
Em

spyder79

Extreme Poster
I suggest removing the coil reptisun bulb. there are no studies that have shown their comments on changing the coil bulb to be true. So as of right now until a new study is done showing that yes the lights were changed (cause what company wouldnt say they were changed just so that they could keep their sales up) i would stick with what is known to work right. The Reptisun 10.0 is on of the best uv bulbs on the market. The only things that are over it are the Powersun and Trex MVB lights but these have requirements for distance from beardie (no less than 12 inches) and you need a good sized tank as they put out a lot of heat. I know the petstore people may have told you the lights were changed and there are comments on the web about it but it is still not safe. if you choose to continue using it you do so at your own risk. Cause on top of the eye problems associated with the coil lights the UV output from them decreases exponentially after only 2 months. They are a very erradic bulb. The UV output goes super high in the first month then toples off then completely decreases to a useless rate of output. This can cause MVB which will kill your dragon if it goes untreated why chance it.

PeekABoo

How long ago were the supposed changes to have taken place, do you happen to know? The moderators and long experienced here on the site caution against using any coil or compact bulbs, and in my recent experience, I'm inclined to agree. Just not worth the risk.

Can't exactly remember it says in the study, but it should have happened a year or more back. ZooMed did reimburse someone as well as pay their vet bills that were caused by the swollen eyes, they also said they now preburn their bulbs to alleviate the initial high output. I was tempted to try their compact bulb because of the actions they said they took to correct themselves, except I haven't come across one yet. They do seem credible, but again as spyder79 said they may have done it to keep their sales up. I myself had the exoterra uvb coil and my baby Peek a Boo had problems with the swollen eyes. I had to change to the tube as well. Well said though, why risk it. I hope we can see a new study soon. Here's to hoping,

Melissa

I was using the 10.0 coil and my bd had nothing but problems. Always closing one or both eyes, not eating and not pooping. When he did poop things were not fully digested. Saw alot of cricket wings and things. Since I switched to the tube we have seen dramatic results. I am greatful for the info I have gotten on this forum. I can't explain how much change we have seen in just a week.

Good luck
Cheryl & Eragon

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
PeekABoo":9fc20 said:
How long ago were the supposed changes to have taken place, do you happen to know? The moderators and long experienced here on the site caution against using any coil or compact bulbs, and in my recent experience, I'm inclined to agree. Just not worth the risk.

Can't exactly remember it says in the study, but it should have happened a year or more back. ZooMed did reimburse someone as well as pay their vet bills that were caused by the swollen eyes, they also said they now preburn their bulbs to alleviate the initial high output. I was tempted to try their compact bulb because of the actions they said they took to correct themselves, except I haven't come across one yet. They do seem credible, but again as spyder79 said they may have done it to keep their sales up. I myself had the exoterra uvb coil and my baby Peek a Boo had problems with the swollen eyes. I had to change to the tube as well. Well said though, why risk it. I hope we can see a new study soon. Here's to hoping,

Melissa

Thanks for getting back. Indeed, I'm inclined to continue to steer people in a known "safe direction" when it comes to UVB. That's good that ZooMed took some responsibility. I have a strong feeling Zilla has not followed suit. Luckily changing out our Zilla compact light was enough for our dragon to recover from her ailments, but I still have it in my mind to write Zilla and explain our circumstances. I still have the old light all boxed up, and have been meaning to return it to the store that sold it to me, with a rather HUGE (but respectful) piece of my mind. I'm sorry Peek a Boo had eye issues. I assume the tube lighting helped her as well?

Even having "been there myself" I am stunned at the amount of "coil threads" that appear on the boards so frequently, and many with beardie's in dire (even grave) condition. :( I'm incensed at the amount of poor equipment available out there. *sigh*

The best, and thanks again for replying Melissa!

cherylann229":9fc20 said:
I was using the 10.0 coil and my bd had nothing but problems. Always closing one or both eyes, not eating and not pooping. When he did poop things were not fully digested. Saw alot of cricket wings and things. Since I switched to the tube we have seen dramatic results. I am greatful for the info I have gotten on this forum. I can't explain how much change we have seen in just a week.

(bold mine)

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm so glad to see that your beardie is turning things around, and so quickly. It's sweet relief, yes?

The best,
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom