Ceramic heat emitter smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDMom22

Juvie Member
Are they supposed to have a smell or is something wrong? Its brand new, only been pluged in for about ten mins. I dont think I like it

BDMom22

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ugh, i unplugged it, it really stinks.
I have the beardie in my lap under blanket b/c hes chilly. (This is my beardie in brumation I talked about before)
I wish it was warm here year round :(

koiboydavid

Hatchling Member
Its normal for them to have an odor to them when they are new and just starting up. Maybe burn it off in another part of the house? They sure can come in handy!

BDMom22

Juvie Member
Original Poster
koiboydavid":3f0c6 said:
Its normal for them to have an odor to them when they are new and just starting up. Maybe burn it off in another part of the house? They sure can come in handy!

It seems really really hot. It was only on like 15 mins tops, and the damn thing nearly burned my finger off.
Its only 60watts too! :?

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Yes they get VERY hot, i have a saftey cage around mine to make sure Gizmo (or me) get burned by her's. Ans yes i also noticed a small, but it goes away after a while.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
They get really hot and the ceramic will let off a weird smell at first. Make sure the holder you screw it in too is also ceramic. A plastic one is incorrect and will melt and burn away.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
The part that you screw the CHE should be ceramic (white) and not plastic( brown or black).
A plastic fitting will start to melt, get soft and throw off a weird smell.

BDMom22

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh, :oops: Yeah Its metal. Thanks.
Ill plug it in and just watch it for a few hours.

Do you leave yours plugged in when you go to sleep?

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
No..but I live in Florida. I only use it when it gets below 60 degrees here at night. I have my dragons in a back sun room which is covered and all screened in but does not have Heat or A/C.
They do just fine in total darkness at night and with temps as low as 60F.

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Yes, I leave it on all night long, and I never had a problem with it. Well, on warm summer nights I turn it off, but last summer we did not have many of those...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom